DIII and Financial Aid - what's your experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2015
Ha. You quoted me a little too soon. I had edited my reply above as I don’t want parents to be discouraged from applying anywhere before completing a NPC.

Actually, most schools require you to submit a FAFSA for *any* $$$$ even if you know you don't qualify for FA.

May 27, 2013
Actually, most schools require you to submit a FAFSA for *any* $$$$ even if you know you don't qualify for FA.

Right. I’m just saying that people shouldn’t assume that they will or won’t get anything until they utilize the specific school’s NPC, no matter what the FAFSA comes back with. The NPC’s, if info is inputted correctly, are pretty accurate in most cases.

Jun 8, 2016
Technically, engineers providing services directly to the public shall have an engineering license issued state they are working with or in.

The issue is that many of us that work for companies, do not need it, as we are not providing services directly to the public.

For those engineers that work designing and building structures and systems that will be used by the public, a license is required. In example, civil engineers designing bridges or building structures need to be licensed (at least the chief engineer signing off on the design and construction drawings). But mechanical engineers designing fire suppression systems also need to be licensed. Those designing elevators.... etc...

I’m actually a licensed engineer, although I don’t need it for my work, but that would be the same license that someone from an elite university will need to pass.

In any case, this is off-topic. I think that the point is well made. I couldn’t agree more with @Strike2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the explanation. Does everybody working on the designs for those public service projects need to have a license or just those signing off on them?

Also a good engineer is a good engineer doesn't matter where they come from..never said otherwise.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2016
Thanks for the explanation. Does everybody working on the designs for those public service projects need to have a license or just those signing off on them? Also a good engineer is a good engineer doesn't matter where they come from..never said otherwise.

Those signing off need to be licensed. They can have dozens of unlicensed engineers doing the actual work, but in the end, the state will hold the licensed engineer accountable. So, he/she/they better be sure that the design meets design or construction code (whether building, fire, elevator, etc... whatever engineering code is deemed appropriate for the application).

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2015
Some other factors to consider is that many schools have a separate application process with additional essays and other criteria for their *honors colleges* whereas some automatically consider you for their *honors colleges*.

Also, some schools will notify you of your acceptance but will not notify you of your merit scholarships if any until many months later; e.g. one of the first acceptances my daughter received back on 11/6 was from Pitt but she still hasn't been told how much of a merit scholarship they are giving her until late Jan-Feb.

Best wishes!
During the recruiting process, my daughter's coach was in contact with admissions on a regular basis. The coach told my daughter she was going to be accepted two days after my daughter applied which was a month before we received the official letter. And after verifying my daughter's grades at the end of 11th grade, she made a phone call or two and told my daughter she was getting the maximum merit scholarship they offered - again about a month before we received the official notice on that.

Jun 8, 2016
Those signing off need to be licensed. They can have dozens of unlicensed engineers doing the actual work, but in the end, the state will hold the licensed engineer accountable. So, he better be sure that the design meets design or construction code (whether building, fire, elevator, etc... whatever engineering code is deemed appropriate for the application).

Ok that is what I thought. Thanks. As you can I see, other than my 3 month stint at Raytheon, which made me decide to go to graduate school, I don't have any industry experience :p

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
In my experience (Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology), where you went to undergrad mattered a little in grad school admissions, but your research and clinical experience was most important. A student from a large State University who managed to work closely in a professor's research lab was impressive because that takes a lot of initiative. And once you're accepted into a Ph.D. program, no one gives one single thought to where you went to undergrad. It's more about what major professor you worked with and how much you published as a grad student.

Point being, the "name" of the undergrad institution is of moderate importance at best in my field.

Jan 31, 2015
During the recruiting process, my daughter's coach was in contact with admissions on a regular basis. The coach told my daughter she was going to be accepted two days after my daughter applied which was a month before we received the official letter. And after verifying my daughter's grades at the end of 11th grade, she made a phone call or two and told my daughter she was getting the maximum merit scholarship they offered - again about a month before we received the official notice on that.

That's interesting but definitely NOT my DD's experience since she had to notify the coaches (3 diff schools) of her admissions and acceptances.

May 27, 2013
That's interesting but definitely NOT my DD's experience since she had to notify the coaches (3 diff schools) of her admissions and acceptances.

We had this experience after an academic preread at one D3 school during the summer. Dd submitted all of her grades and test scores after junior year was completed and we received a letter with what her merit award would be.

In our experience, the coaches or an admissions liaison does keep in contact with the admissions office throughout the recruiting experience.