Diamond 9 Fall Sun Classic?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
We were at the back fields (20s) at WWOS - a PA team that played teams from all over, including Cali. Unfortunately, weather can’t be controlled. We had good turnout at our games but I know our girls / coach contacted schools beforehand.

It’s got to be insanely difficult to reschedule games for such a big tournament when rain makes some fields unplayable.

Oct 5, 2015
So at the end of the day, D9 was a wash for anybody not playing at WWOS. The teams at Fortune Road were lucky if they got four games in with all the rain (many got only three), same thing for Winter Haven. The Space Coast teams were too far away to expect any coaches to be there, and certainly the coaches I spoke to said they would not be heading out there. WWOS fields actually drain water, so many of the "chosen ones" got six or even seven games in over the weekend.

My guess based on the number of disgruntled parents and coaches at the tournament is that KOD will start seeing the number of teams drop over the course of the next few years. It's blatantly obvious that he doesn't care about being fair or even creative with the scheduling. If you're at Fortune Road, you're probably a NJ or PA team playing other NJ and PA teams. If you're a CA team at WWOS, you're likely playing other CA teams. The chosen few teams at fields 12-15 at WWOS got to see good competition and a large number of coaches. Everybody else got hosed.

Man I really don't miss this. Made the trip several times from CA. One year, the team played at some unseemly place in Kissimmee with graffiti on doublewides that surrounded the venue. Competition was good, though. Bama was there to watch a prospective pitcher who eventually committed to them. One year, the team finally was scheduled to play at WWOS on Sunday, in the afternoon. Um yeah, that works. Flights departed before game times.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
We were at the back fields (20s) at WWOS - a PA team that played teams from all over, including Cali. Unfortunately, weather can’t be controlled. We had good turnout at our games but I know our girls / coach contacted schools beforehand.

It’s got to be insanely difficult to reschedule games for such a big tournament when rain makes some fields unplayable.

The only concession D9 tried to make for the Fortune Road teams was to give the option to play one game at Space Coast...on turf. None of our girls brought turf shoes or plastic cleats, and we figured there was no point in playing a single unscheduled game an hour and a half from the main complex.

Honestly, I was pretty surprised that a complex in Florida (where it rains almost every day) had so little drainage. The Fortune Road fields were unplayable after about 5 minutes of rain and remained that way for hours. The WWOS fields drain much more quickly and return to play shortly after the rain stops.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
We were lucky enough to play 7 games at D9. Friday and Saturday were on the 10-15 fields at WWOS and sunday was at space coast. We had our typical college coaches at our late night games on Saturday plus a few unexpected ones that informed our coach they came to see us based on reputation. We expected to see no coaches at Space coast but were presently surprised that a few coaches not in attendance at WWOS were there to see our girls. We were asked to pick up an additional game at space coast which we did. We are a northeast team and played all Cali, Florida, and Tennessee teams. Went 5-2 for the weekend.

It was a good experience for our first time at D9. Hopefully next year we get better game times. We were working on 4 hours sleep between Saturday and Sunday. But it is what it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
If you're at Fortune Road, you're probably a NJ or PA team playing other NJ and PA teams. If you're a CA team at WWOS, you're likely playing other CA teams. The chosen few teams at fields 12-15 at WWOS got to see good competition and a large number of coaches. Everybody else got hosed.

Chosen? Or good enough to compete with top teams? No one wants to see a team from anywhere get run ruled at WWOS. These college programs also pay to travel and get to games. They want to see top teams play at WWOS. Last year DD's team played at Sanford and a D1 school came to the WWOS looking for her. The Org told that coach that she was at the Sanford location and they drove the 30 minutes to see her. Gotta draw coaches in. Now I agree the field conditions should be better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802