Developing a catcher (9-10yrs old) advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Improper throwing mechanics is the one of the biggest, if not the biggest, issue I see with girls at all ages but in particular at 10U and 12U. Many of them look like they are throw or two away from blowing out their arms with the way they throw.

In my observations, growing bodies are also a contributor. Bones getting longer, and ligaments being forced to stretch while under the heavy load of a throwing athlete makes our girls even more susceptible to these issues.

Jun 8, 2016
In my observations, growing bodies are also a contributor. Bones getting longer, and ligaments being forced to stretch while under the heavy load of a throwing athlete makes our girls even more susceptible to these issues.
There is no doubt that overhand throwing puts a lot of stress on growing bodies. That said, a lot of girls just throw improperly which just compounds the issue.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
There is no doubt that overhand throwing puts a lot of stress on growing bodies. That said, a lot of girls just throw improperly which just compounds the issue.
Agreed 100%.

Recently, my DD was getting into the habit of flipping the ball back to the pitcher with a side-arm toss. Being who she is, she always puts some zip on her flips. Over the course of a few weeks of this, she was starting to feel an occasional twinge of discomfort on the inside of her elbow. She didn’t listen to me about it, but her HC got her sorted out. No more discomfort. Especially for catchers, the volume of throws they make demands that good mechanics are ALWAYS used.

Jun 8, 2016
Agreed 100%.

Recently, my DD was getting into the habit of flipping the ball back to the pitcher with a side-arm toss. Being who she is, she always puts some zip on her flips. Over the course of a few weeks of this, she was starting to feel an occasional twinge of discomfort on the inside of her elbow. She didn’t listen to me about it, but her HC got her sorted out. No more discomfort. Especially for catchers, the volume of throws they make demands that good mechanics are ALWAYS used.
Sigh...

Jul 9, 2019
Ok I was in your shoes last season. We didn’t have a catcher that could catch my other daughter. She is very fast and we had no experienced catchers. So many passed balls and dropped 3rd strike is was horrible.
I approached my other twin daughter to catch and she was good with the request. She doesn’t have a strong throwing arm due to poor mechanics. We’re working on the mechanics.
Anyway got her some nice gear. Easton Prowess. Recently changed to Diamond IX5 gear. Excellent gear with plastic clips that are quick to get on and off.
Anyway, she is good with high balls and ball in the strike zone. Problem is she won’t sell out on balls in the dirt and hit her knees to block. So I get tennis balls and rubber softballs and throw her balls in the dirt until she gets it right. It’s helped out a lot.
I would recommend Xan Barksdale. He was a catcher and has much good info on catching.
Also there is a woman in our area that played D-3 ball at Tufts and won a couple National Championshis as a catcher.
She does camps/clinics. Her business is called Protect the Plate. Her name is Joanne.
My only issue is she doesn’t like catchers using knee savers. I disagree on this topic and want my daughters using all protective equipment available.
But yeah when throwing down to 2nd 1 step or throw from knees if she has a strong enough arm. I highly recommend a quality camp/clinic to improve/enhance your daughters skills.
Make sure you have a quality mitt with ample padding.
So my DD just finished her first travel season this year, but has caught in Rec for 2 years prior. One of the first things they told us at her first camp was that Knee Savers just get in the way. She always used them in Rec ball. Now after nearly 10 months without them, I asked her if she wanted to put them back on, and she looked at me like an alien. She's a work in progress as all 10U players are, but she's much quicker without them.

Also I agree in throwing to 2nd. They've started teaching her to throw to second from her knees. I wasn't a fan at first, but she's just too slow when she stands up and does the 2 step before getting rid of the ball. She does have a fairly strong arm though and that may be why they've gone with that approach.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So my DD just finished her first travel season this year, but has caught in Rec for 2 years prior. One of the first things they told us at her first camp was that Knee Savers just get in the way. She always used them in Rec ball. Now after nearly 10 months without them, I asked her if she wanted to put them back on, and she looked at me like an alien. She's a work in progress as all 10U players are, but she's much quicker without them.

Also I agree in throwing to 2nd. They've started teaching her to throw to second from her knees. I wasn't a fan at first, but she's just too slow when she stands up and does the 2 step before getting rid of the ball. She does have a fairly strong arm though and that may be why they've gone with that approach.

Learn to throw from both knees and feet, to all bases. Fill the tool box with a wide range of skills.

Enforce proper mechanics over faster speed. Speed will come, but mediocre mechanics leads to injuries....slow-to-heal injuries.

Apr 28, 2019

I understand what your saying about knee savers. I’m more concerned years down the road. My girls find them more comfortable in the squat position. If they protect their ligaments and overall knee health I’m all for wearing them.
They can be cumbersome but like anything else you get used to it and adapt.
Throwing really should be one step or from the knees to have a quick release and good chance to nail runners.
I remember reading somewhere a couple of old catchers not sure maybe Bench, Fisk comment they wish they had the option of wearing them when they played.
It should be personal choice no pressure from coaches, teammates not to wear them.
I’m from the Eric Dickerson camp on preventative measures. I’ll use any equipment available that reduces my chances of sustaining an injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598