Desperately need help with 12U daughter's coach re: pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
Hello, I am so glad to find this forum. I hope someone can help me so I do the right thing regarding my daughter.

She plays on a 12U "A" level team. Her pitching coach says she's got talent and a lot of potential. AC's daughter is #1, HC's daughter is #2, and my daughter is #3.

The pitching coach has told us (as well as many other people) that my daughter pitches as well as #2. The biggest difference is that my daughter lacks the experience #2 has. We have played in 3 big tournaments so far this season, for a total of about no less than 50 innings. My daughter has been allowed to pitch in exactly 6 of those 50+ innings. The first tournament she got an entire game (4 innings) and did so well that she received many compliments. The next tournament she struggled and was only allowed to pitch 2 innings. The last tournament, out of 5 games, she didn't get to pitch at all.

I believe the reason is because the coach is all about winning. Anything to win. He trusts #1 and #2 and knows they have a lot of experience and seems only interested in developing those two. He believe he will always win with one of those two pitching (has not actually been the case). I've heard that my daughter hasn't "proven" herself to him so he isn't willing to risk putting her in.

Her pitching coach says we need to make sure our daughter gets plenty of practice pitching in. During team practices - live batting - it's extremely rare for my daughter to get to pitch to the batters. #1 and #2 ALWAYS get to pitch, giving them good practice time. My daughter has to find time outside of her team practices to practice her pitching, unlike the other two. Okay, fine. We can deal with that, though I think it's pretty lousy.

My question is, if you've made it this far, is what do I ask the coach -- what can I say to him -- to get him to tell us what my daughter needs to do to be able to pitch for the team? What will it take for him to let her throw a few innings? If experience and practice is what she needs, WHERE is she supposed to get it if not from him? I truly don't understand this. He won't put her in because she lacks "whatever" something, but unless she's allowed to pitch, how on earth is she supposed to get it? How can she improve if not given the opportunity?

For the record, my daughter is the starting center fielder, one of the fastest runners on the team, and has the highest batting average on the team. She's an all around excellent athlete, but dang it, she wants to pitch.

What do we do? Thanks for any and all advice. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If she wants extended cirlce time she needs to be clearly better than #1P or find a team where the HC & AC don't have #1 & #2 P spots locked up.

Apr 13, 2010
If she wants extended cirlce time she needs to be clearly better than #1P or find a team where the HC & AC don't have #1 & #2 P spots locked up.

Correct on all counts. Been down this road myself and if you want to pitch you need to go find it. No ones going to give it to you unless you're the coach or the one running the team.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
"A" is typically about winning. Consider finding a B team to get some serious innings in. Pitchers need lots of experience to become successful, and your DD won't get that in the dugout.

May 17, 2012
It would be one thing if you were losing games but if you are winning AND you knew you were the #3 pitcher there isn't a whole lot to argue about.

The good news is that there are plenty of teams looking for good pitchers. Consider it a lesson learned on your part.

You really did not need to go any further than HC and AC DDs are #1 and #2 pitchers, the rest simply does not matter, you are asking them to stop their DDs from pitching so your DD can pitch...really?

Let's try the conversation out " I know you really like your daughter and she and my daughter a fairly equal in talent so I think you should let my daughter pitch some more so she can clearly establish herself as the #2 and get your daughter less time in the circle and once she has done that she will need more circle time so she can try and beat out your friend the AC daughter...would that be OK"

best you could hope for is to try out this conversation "do you think next tournament that pool games don't count for seeding you could work DD in for a couple innings, thank you, thank you so much again for the opportunity to be on this great team that you are doing a great job coaching and we are sooooo happy to be a part of" to which you hope to get the response "yeah OK I'll think about it, thanks for your input"

Maybe you could look around for an open weekend and see if a team is looking for a guest pitcher, then approach the coach with "I know you really value my daughter in CF but she is just not getting any circle time and since we are not going to a tournament this weekend we have accepted an invitation to guest pitch, see you next practice"

Feb 3, 2011
Your DD is the starting CF, so that's her position. Yes, she's as good as the other girl in the circle, but can that other player measure up to your DD's level in CF?

My philosophy is that players should be getting reps on Saturday, but even then, there will be Saturdays when you'll feel you need to seed well because of the way the brackets are set up.

If this coach prefers to ride 2 girls' arms all the time, then your DD needs to guest pitch for other teams on her off weekends if she wants pitching time.

Mar 31, 2013

They are absolutely right. Complaining or talking to them will do no good. Been there!! Never again.. Weight your odds. If she really wants to be a pitcher and wants to be the best...tel her to wok her @#@ off and go find a team where she can have her time to shine. Pitchers need to pitch!! nufff said

Mar 31, 2013
Correct on all counts. Been down this road myself and if you want to pitch you need to go find it. No ones going to give it to you unless you're the coach or the one running the team.

Totally! Dont waist your time with being the third string pitcher..when the HC and AC are parents of #1 and #2!! Not gonna happen and dont waist your time. go get your kiddo the time they need to be a pitcher on another team. Just that simple!

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
We ran into a similar situation back in the fall, so after talking to DD's coach, we let our daughter guest-play as much as possible with another team when her regular team wasn't playing. The other team was very happy to have a quality pitcher to help them out and it gave DD a LOT of game/pitching experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478