designating infield and outfield positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2019
Younger daughter is on a new first year 12u team, I'm on the staff and head coach, other assistant and I are thinking of splitting the team into designated positions (infielders and outfielders) to speed up development so we can compete quicker. Currently we are trying to give equal work/time to all at all positions they want to play in. Any thoughts on pros/cons?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
18U...maybe. 12U? Nope.

12U is all about player development. You may see some short-run returns, but you'll short-change everyone over the long-run. At that age, you never know what someone will be suited for later on, and your team will be better off with as much flexibility as possible. Further, HS and college coaches love players who can do more than one thing. Lastly, you may see a 12U who is alright with doing nothing but playing OF at that age, but you may lose some people with your choices.

I started sending my previously IF-only (and a bit slow) DD to the OF at 12U (many moons ago). She grew, slimmed up, and got faster. I no longer decide where she plays, and she still sees lots of IF work, but the ability to play OF well has meant very little bench time.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I agree. 10u, 12u, maybe even 14u are all great ages to help girls learn to be versatile. Who knows where these girls are going to end up.

DD’s Jr High squads (A & B) were very competitive this year. And the A squad was pretty deep at P and 1B. So that meant DD played full time at those positions on the B team. Which is great....She played every inning. But, because she knew how to handle herself in the OF she also saw some innings on the A team. Which also allowed her some at bats at the A-level. Had she not been able (and/or willing) to show she could play OF the coaches wouldn’t have pulled her up to field.

DD doesn’t play OF for our TB team. But we do make all of our girls practice IF and OF for the reason above.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Younger daughter is on a new first year 12u team, I'm on the staff and head coach, other assistant and I are thinking of splitting the team into designated positions (infielders and outfielders) to speed up development so we can compete quicker. Currently we are trying to give equal work/time to all at all positions they want to play in. Any thoughts on pros/cons?
To take this
'split players in half concept'
further...little fun in thinking it through...

What would be the coaches qualifications
(determining factors)
identifying the placement/assignment of players?
At 1st year 12u

For Out Field Select The~
Five fastest in 60 yard sprints.
Who have the strongest arms & throwing distances.
Who can react best to the ball coming off the bat.
Who can also catch towering fly balls...

If 5 players stand out in all of these catagories
CONGRATULATIONS COACHES
you have successfully selected your starting outfielders!!!!
The rest are infielders :)

Will that strategy work?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020
For an easy answer to this, look at what the Dodgers are doing with their positions at the Major League level. Versatility is key, it gives the coaches the most flexibility with their lineup and guys can get rest without a significant drop-off in talent at any position.

When you send your players off to a MS or HS team later, you want them to always be able to respond to questions with "Yes, Coach, I can do that" instead of "I don't knowhow to play that position." That may mean the difference between a Varsity slot and a JV slot. If you decide now that some of your players aren't able to play infield for you, then you are the one placing limits on their softball career. There is a lot you can do in practice that works skills that translate to both IF & OF, and when you do position specific work it helps to have a pod at each position. As far as reps go, it is the quality of the reps, not the quantity that leads to improvement. Competition in practice will cultivate a mindset where everyone will compete in games.

Feb 27, 2019
18U...maybe. 12U? Nope.

12U is all about player development. You may see some short-run returns, but you'll short-change everyone over the long-run. At that age, you never know what someone will be suited for later on, and your team will be better off with as much flexibility as possible. Further, HS and college coaches love players who can do more than one thing. Lastly, you may see a 12U who is alright with doing nothing but playing OF at that age, but you may lose some people with your choices.

I started sending my previously IF-only (and a bit slow) DD to the OF at 12U (many moons ago). She grew, slimmed up, and got faster. I no longer decide where she plays, and she still sees lots of IF work, but the ability to play OF well has meant very little bench time.
I don't think we would intend for it to be permanent and the reps would come during the season with all taking infield and outfield. The difference would come when practicing situational plays. Kind of focusing on their strengths for now and once playing season is over we go back to mixing it up.

Jan 24, 2020
The more one understands the responsibilities of all the positions, the better they can play their own. A RF who has taken a bunch of reps at 3B will have better back-up positioning on a throw. A CF who understands the mechanics of bunt coverage is more likely to jump into a play at second when things go sideways, and may steal an out for you. A 1b who has played outfield will likely perform better with cut-offs, etc.

Also, you are talking about setting up two different teams within your team, even if you try to go back to mixing it up later, those divisions will still be in the back of everyone's mind, and it will be harder for those that aren't getting certain reps now to be competitive with those who are.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I would vote a hard no on that question.

I agree with many of the post above why this should not be done. Couple more reasons that have not already been mentioned for why I would vote no.
1- It would be difficult to practice some of the outfield cut plays with only 5 girls. You really should have a full team to practice all the cuts with a runner on 2nd base, and there is a hit to the outfield. Everyone should be moving on that type of play. Communication is very important on cut plays.
2- It would be difficult to practice communication between infielders going back on a fly ball, and outfielders coming in on the same ball. This really takes a lot of practice to get good at. This is the type of play that still gets messed up even at the highest levels.

Mar 10, 2020
I don't think we would intend for it to be permanent and the reps would come during the season with all taking infield and outfield. The difference would come when practicing situational plays. Kind of focusing on their strengths for now and once playing season is over we go back to mixing it up.
I coach a 1st year 12u travel team. I have been coaching for about 12 years with two dd playing in college. I agree it’s important for the girls to know all the positions but I agree for situational practice it’s important for a girl to figure out one or two positions first. I have all the girls rotate in the outfield but have limited kids to either middle infielders or corners for infield. My parents don’t want their dd to be confused with so many positions. Another thought, it also depends on where your team is geographically located. Teams in the southern states play all year long and have more time to practice outside and have real game situations. In the north, not so much time.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

If the changes run for a season, that is pretty much "permanent". I strongly recommend teaching everyone the fundamentals for both IF and OF. There's lots of crossover anyway. Nothing wrong with setting a defense for situational work, but rotate and mix it up. The kids will learn by seeing things from both ends. I'm a huge fan of promoting the importance of good OF play, and would offer specific rewards for it. For example, that RF who does her backup work properly would see less bench time and a higher spot in the batting lineup (regardless of batting avg). For a less important pool game or friendly, I'd let her choose her spot.

Don't pigeon-hole 12U players. Whatever your decision this year regarding who plays IF or OF, you handicap them next year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28