Design your perfect glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
I would take the Akadema AJB74 and make it with just a little more robust leather. DD loves this glove but it doesn't last long enough.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I would take the Akadema AJB74 and make it with just a little more robust leather. DD loves this glove but it doesn't last long enough.
Well, a stout / durable glove was one of my selling points!

How old is your DD Brian? And what is it that she likes so much about her AJB74? The pattern, the fit, the easy break in? My only experience with Akadema is I had a pancake trainer probably 10 years ago.

Mar 6, 2018
Well perfect timing to jump in as our daughter received her first custom glove from Vinci today. Can’t say much for USPS and all of the delays. But as usual a great Vinci product. Almost hate to show it since we ordered hers with a Velcro strap. She has an AB74-L that needs to be re-laced she loves that glove, but with the closure gets a bit loose on her wrist. She does not play with the velcro to much. P.S Annasdad sending to Jeff for re-lacing, great guy!

Attachments

• 9D54ADF0-E000-476B-B02B-9754DAA638A4.jpeg
    9D54ADF0-E000-476B-B02B-9754DAA638A4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 3300366D-C168-4EC3-9F60-1D9ACEB79F71.jpeg
    3300366D-C168-4EC3-9F60-1D9ACEB79F71.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 4641A3B2-D1B6-4C4E-A2A2-9F387625D08A.jpeg
    4641A3B2-D1B6-4C4E-A2A2-9F387625D08A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 2682EADB-2F31-495F-A8AA-5B31F3E8A623.jpeg
    2682EADB-2F31-495F-A8AA-5B31F3E8A623.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Well perfect timing to jump in as our daughter received her first custom glove from Vinci today. Can’t say much for USPS and all of the delays. But as usual a great Vinci product. Almost hate to show it since we ordered hers with a Velcro strap. She has an AB74-L that needs to be re-laced she loves that glove, but with the closure gets a bit loose on her wrist. She does not play with the velcro to much. P.S Annasdad sending to Jeff for re-lacing, great guy!
Good morning! What size is her new Vinci? What's your DD's primary position? And yes, Rous is absolutely a great guy!!

Actually, what model is that Vinci?

Jun 19, 2016
Well, a stout / durable glove was one of my selling points!

How old is your DD Brian? And what is it that she likes so much about her AJB74? The pattern, the fit, the easy break in? My only experience with Akadema is I had a pancake trainer probably 10 years ago.

She is 12 but she is 5'4" and 150# and she is primarily a pitcher/hitter. The AJB 74 is a 12" steer hide glove with a modified trap. The velcro thing was kind of a joke because everyone knows you hate it. I know she sets it one time and leaves it alone.

I think she likes them because they are easy to break in. I have tried to get her to use a stiffer glove but she is not interested in them. That is why I said one that was slightly stiffer. Everything else about the glove is a very good fit for a pitcher in my opinion.

Mar 6, 2018
Good morning! What size is her new Vinci? What's your DD's primary position? And yes, Rous is absolutely a great guy!!

Actually, what model is that Vinci?
She has used a 13 inch glove for the last 4 or 5 years. She is an outfielder. And agreed Rous is a great guy and does a great job!

Jun 19, 2016
I think the perfect glove is very position specific. My DD likes the modified trap web because she is a pitcher. She believes that her grip can be hidden better. I am not really convinced that a grip can be seen through an H web, but since she thinks it I guess that is all that matters. I think that most pitchers do other things to tip their pitches other than the grip. I can say that one time that I asked Vinci why they put the modified trap on their youth fortus model and they told me they did so because it was the most versatile. I can say this, a lot of pitchers gloves come with a solid basket pocket and I don't like those. It seems like the ball bounces out more easily than a modified trap glove. I am also not a fan of the similar trap glove because it seems like with no leather across the top it would likely get worn out quickly.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I think the perfect glove is very position specific. My DD likes the modified trap web because she is a pitcher. She believes that her grip can be hidden better. I am not really convinced that a grip can be seen through an H web, but since she thinks it I guess that is all that matters. I think that most pitchers do other things to tip their pitches other than the grip. I can say that one time that I asked Vinci why they put the modified trap on their youth fortus model and they told me they did so because it was the most versatile. I can say this, a lot of pitchers gloves come with a solid basket pocket and I don't like those. It seems like the ball bounces out more easily than a modified trap glove. I am also not a fan of the similar trap glove because it seems like with no leather across the top it would likely get worn out quickly.
A lot going on with this post! Good morning Brian :)

I absolutely agree, the perfect glove is position specific! I started this post pointing out what I think is missing, a rugged, durable,
well thought out 3B / utility glove for the girl, and specifically the parents who don't want to purchase multiple gloves for multiple positions!

And you're right, at her age (12), if anyone picks up her pitch grip it'll likely be the opposing 3B coach.

Pitchers gloves, usually 12" just about ALL come with a closed web, whether it be a basket web, Two-piece, or vertical dual hinge, they'll all play deeper and wider than her modified trap. I say they all will, at least that's how they're designed to be!

Your last sentence about not liking the similar trap glove.......are you talking about a Six-finger Trap-Eze web? Other than the Rawlings Pro12TC that I have, like the one Ozzie Smith used, or the Wilson OTIF, 99.9% of all Six-finger traps are going to be used in the outfield. They won't wear out any faster then any other glove.....but they'll form the best pocket of any other glove out there!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812