Design your perfect glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Probably should have asked RAD to start this thread for me.......

Okay, here’s the glove that‘s missing!

A true 3B / utility pattern in a full (true size) 12” or even a 12.25”. This glove done right could fill the role of the girl who plays 2 or 3 positions. Absolutely NO Velcro, build this glove from the ground up in the right pattern for multiple softball positions but build it with small / snug hand and finger stalls specifically for the female hand! Not every girl likes a micro small glove, this size would work great at SS and 2B also.

The Vinci BV1929 is one pattern that I think is close to the glove I’m describing, but I’m thinking of a glove that’s much higher in quality, and definitely without a basket web!!

**Full size 12” or 12.25” glove.

**H-web, it’s absolutely the best web for a 3B & utility glove, H-webs break in deep and wide and it’s a strong web!

**A great leather, a real leather, I know the word Horween scares a lot of people off, but I’m talking about a real, big girl glove! Yeah it’s stiff, but it’s also durable and stands up to the rigors of TB, school ball, practices and lessons. If not Horween, a high quality Steerhide leather.

**Take the softball / fastpitch glove out of the equation, build it with true high quality baseball internals.....true felt, thicker finger stays, a leather palm pad, NO synthetic palm pads! Source some really high quality lace and use rough split welting. A glove built for the girl who uses a glove 5 days a week!

**I love the Rawlings Pro1000 / Pro206 / Pro207 / KB17 pattern with it’s bowl shape, along with the Wilson DW5 / 1781 pattern, deep and bowl shaped, great 3B patterns! But these are all baseball models I’ve listed above, make a glove in the patterns I listed above but make it fit a girls hand!

**My newest custom NP6 is another pattern that’s perfect for softball 3B, this one came with a surprisingly small hand stall that a lot of girls would use right out of the box! This one is a
I-web glove which would also work great, I still think a H-web glove is a better option for the glove I’m describing, but this I-web will work, and it’s so cool looking! I’ve went my entire life without ever owning a I-web glove, now I have 3 of them!
@ANNASDAD you are a champion of posts!

what was it
'the DFP equipment department' administrator ?!

imo Gloves/equiptment are individual preference.
Myself like to try things on.
Gloves fingers some are tighter or not.
Even seams /stitching can have an odd bump.
Certain leathers are treated where they have a hard exterior (which i prefer a soft pliable texture)
Even like to smell the glove :)

BTW i tell people about this great equiptment resource here on DFP.
EXCELLENT accumulation of knowledge and feedback!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
@ANNASDAD you are a champion of posts!

what was it
'the DFP equipment department' administrator ?!

imo Gloves/equiptment are individual preference.
Myself like to try things on.
Gloves fingers some are tighter or not.
Even seams /stitching can have an odd bump.
Certain leathers are treated where they have a hard exterior (which i prefer a soft pliable texture)
Even like to smell the glove :)

BTW i tell people about this great equiptment resource here on DFP.
EXCELLENT accumulation of knowledge and feedback!

I definitely agree that gloves / equipment are individual preference.....especially gloves!

I honestly can’t remember the last time I tried on a glove before I bought it! The gloves I prefer, you can’t just go to a store and try one on. I guess I’ve owned enough gloves to know what works, and I’ll know how it‘s made long before it gets to me!

As far as the tightness of a glove, I guess that also comes with owning enough gloves that I know which particular glove pattern to recommend to a particular girl.

And as for seams and stitching, yeah I’ve got that part already figured out, I know what works.

Not quite sure what you mean about certain leathers being treated and having a hard exterior? But I definitely understand what you mean about a soft pliable texture! I personally love super stiff, brick hard gloves, screams quality, to me anyway.

And new glove smell.....there is no better smell in the world!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Okay, here’s the glove that‘s missing!

A true 3B / utility pattern in a full (true size) 12” or even a 12.25”. This glove done right could fill the role of the girl who plays 2 or 3 positions. Absolutely NO Velcro, build this glove from the ground up in the right pattern for multiple softball positions but build it with small / snug hand and finger stalls specifically for the female hand! Not every girl likes a micro small glove, this size would work great at SS and 2B also.

The Vinci BV1929 is one pattern that I think is close to the glove I’m describing, but I’m thinking of a glove that’s much higher in quality, and definitely without a basket web!!

**Full size 12” or 12.25” glove.

**H-web, it’s absolutely the best web for a 3B & utility glove, H-webs break in deep and wide and it’s a strong web!

**A great leather, a real leather, I know the word Horween scares a lot of people off, but I’m talking about a real, big girl glove! Yeah it’s stiff, but it’s also durable and stands up to the rigors of TB, school ball, practices and lessons. If not Horween, a high quality Steerhide leather.

So...as you know both of my DD's have used Vinci gloves and Mitt's in the past. The BV1929-L was used by my DD in the circle and pretty much everywhere else on the field. My Catcher DD used a Vinci JCV-VM behind the dish for quite a few years and after a relace/recon it still has a lot of life left. This DD also plays a lot of 3B (and it wasn't unusual to see her pop up at just about everywhere else on the field) when not catching so when the time came to upgrade her fielders glove we looked to the Vinci brand again.

What we came up with was basically what AD has described above. It's the basic BV1929 pattern with an H-web built with their Optimus leather. It is listed as a 12.5" but feels and plays smaller. The laces left a little to be desired ;-) but actually held up better than expected and I'm sure when it gets relaced the glove will be even better than new. The hand stall and fingers have been perfect for her, I'd say she has average (medium/large) hands. The Optimus leather is 6.5 oz Kip in a walnut color that at first I wasn't crazy about but it has grown on me and has definitely held up well (I should add that the Optimus leather wasn't part of my original build request but Casedawg (DFP member and Vinci Rep) went the extra mile for us. The padding and stiffness is perfect. It does NOT have a velcro wrist closure so there's none of that nonsense to deal with. The glove was a beast to break in but isn't that part of the fun?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
What we came up with was basically what AD has described above. It's the basic BV1929 pattern with an H-web built with their Optimus leather. It is listed as a 12.5" but feels and plays smaller.
Yep, the BV1929 is listed at 12.5” but barely measures 12.25”, THE perfect size for the glove I’m describing!

Casey used to call the 1929 with a H-web a hybrid, I think he had a few of those made for girls on his travel team. Must be nice to have an “inside” source! I miss Casey around here!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm maybe i'm picky'ier.
Once finding the glove
Would like several of the same glove to then select through

:) 👍

The root word in glove is Love!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I’ve said what I’d like to see, let’s hear from the outfield crowd, what model / pattern do you already like, and what would you like to see?

Oct 4, 2018
With girls going to the TIP (Two in the pinkie), would it make sense to have some extra material also on the middle finger?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog