Delaying play to run clock time off

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
As an umpire your hands are tied to simply following the rules, if something is allowed it is allowed its as simply as that.

Is it bush league yes...but on the other hand I have instructed girls to take pitches if we just get up with two minutes on the clock.

If those are the rules and we have played five games to get here and there are two minutes left and we are up, as a coach I'm not having each girl swing at the first pitch and ground out and let the other team get another at bat with 20 seconds on the clock IMO that's me not doing my job as the coach. After two strikes they can swing away I'm not having them take three strikes but that is as about far as I'm taking it, if there is six minutes left....lets play ball. Do I know where this imaginary line is no but definitely one of those know it when you see it kinda things

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
There are all kinds of threads on this situation. Teams are going to do it to you. As a team we never would do any of the tying shoes or change pitchers, bogus conferences,etc. We would do legit game play like taking a pitch or not stealing,etc.

I get coaches who do all the other things but don't respect it. The only thing that bothers me are the ones who act like they are just so smart to come up with these methods. There is nothing better than winning a game by getting the last out or a GW hit. Not so exciting to hear "Time".

Jun 12, 2015
To me, there's a line. Intentionally untying shoes and that kind of thing is lame. If that's what they have to do to win I guess go for it, but it says a lot about the faith you have in your players when you pull that stuff. Same for stepping off to get an out just before time runs out so you can start a new inning. Have some faith in your players and let them win or lose. Kill a little time if it's a close situation; I get that the clock is part of the game and it's going to be used that way. But some of this just makes them look bad, IMO. But I guess if it works and they win, they probably don't care how bad they look.

Oct 4, 2018
As an umpire your hands are tied to simply following the rules, if something is allowed it is allowed its as simply as that.

Is it bush league yes...but on the other hand I have instructed girls to take pitches if we just get up with two minutes on the clock.

If those are the rules and we have played five games to get here and there are two minutes left and we are up, as a coach I'm not having each girl swing at the first pitch and ground out and let the other team get another at bat with 20 seconds on the clock IMO that's me not doing my job as the coach. After two strikes they can swing away I'm not having them take three strikes but that is as about far as I'm taking it, if there is six minutes left....lets play ball. Do I know where this imaginary line is no but definitely one of those know it when you see it kinda things

Agreed.

We will stall in ways that feel more part of the game. Taking pitches, working the count. Perhaps even a time out if the girls are shaky or in need of a pep talk. We won't steal bases or try to extend hits for extra bases that might result in put-outs.

We won't fake shoe tying. We won't magically lose equipment. We won't have coaches fake heart attacks and collapse on the field.

Oct 4, 2018
It would be nice if they implemented a system like soccer. Pause the clock when play isn't happening.

I guess that's too much to put on the umpires.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So what you can do is vote with your dollars and play in events that do not use a clock (PGF is better than most about this). Mention to tournament directors why you are (or are not) playing in their events.

From my region ASA is the worst with clocks and PGF is the best (no time limit in qualifiers, etc.).

We have played 2 PGF qualifiers in the last month. Both had time limits (1:40, no new inning) on every game.

Feb 3, 2011
We have played 2 PGF qualifiers in the last month. Both had time limits (1:40, no new inning) on every game.
Yes, in the early days, PGF ran with no clock for their qualifiers, at least none I ever saw. With a straight, double-elimination format, they had to ensure teams got a minimum of 2 full games. This worked well when only the best teams were attempting to qualify for Nationals. As the fields expanded and more teams that were not that strong entered, games got longer, events got way behind schedule, and coaches/families complained. So, now we're seeing the time limits.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Actually, no umpires can't do that. There is no rule that allows the umpire to stop the clock for 'stalling'. You don't get to make up rules.

Even if you wanted to call it unsportsmanlike, which I wouldn't, that is just a warning for first offense and an ejection for the second - which I guarentee will run WAY more time off the clock which is NOT STOPPED for either decision.

Game time rules are local, and umpires have wide discretion to suspend play, including injury, rule/player protest, weather, an unsafe playing condition or any other situation which prevents the normal conduct of the game.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
If time limits are at least 90 minutes, no new innings, then normal game management is mostly acceptable. Your team should be able to get 5-6 innings in in 90 minutes. 'Losing' equipment and untying shoes to tie them is unsportmanship and I hope the softball Gods eventually punish those teams.

I think 100 minutes, no new innings is a reasonable time limit. All the PGF qualifier games my DD's team has played have gone 7 innings. Of the other 5 games I watched, 3 went 7 innings and 2 went 6 innings.

I dislike tournaments without at least a 90 minute, no new inning, time limit.

Tough call for bracket play at times. As someone pointed out, if you are on the death march through the loser's bracket, if you can delay slightly, you save your pitcher an inning. Not swinging until there are two strikes, taking a time out or two, swapping pitchers, etc are annoying, but parts of the game.

What I find annoying is teams that once they have a lead, slow it down by having their pitchers take 15-17 seconds inbetween pitches, but again, that is part of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802