Defining L & D and Step Stlye

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Defining L & D and Step Style

What distinguishes one of these styles from the other is simple;

Where the pivot foot is at the exact instant of landing foot touchdown.

1. If the pivot foot is still in contact with the rubber, at the exact instant of landing foot touchdown, this is a ‘Step Style’ pitch.

2. If the pivot foot has been pulled forward of the pitcher’s rubber, BEFORE the instant of landing foot touchdown, this is a leap and drag style pitch.

Watch the feet closely and watch for the instant of landing foot touchdown. You might be very surprised to find out how many of the elite pitchers you THOUGHT were leap and drag, are actually a step style pitcher pushing the legality of the pitching regulations.

You might also be surprised to see how many videos of these pitchers DO NOT show the feet during their motions. There are so many out there like that, it is hard for me to imagine that it is just a coincidence.

NOTE: If the pitcher brings the pivot foot forward of the rubber first and establishes a new pivot point, the same 2 definitions still apply from the new pivot point.

May 12, 2008
Someone years ago, I thought it was you, defined the difference as, is the throwing arm on the way up or on the way down when the back foot is pushing off the rubber.

May 12, 2008
That was not me. At the exact instant of landing foot touchdown, the ball had better be at around 1:00, just into the downswing. That goes for both L and D and step.

And the push happens either well before that for a L & D pitcher or at that time for a stepping style/Redmer or Timmons pitcher. Schmidt for LSU was a Timmons pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802