Defensive Shifts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Anyone use defensive shifts on a regular basis? MLB is practically redefining standard positions as so many shifts are being utilized. Some teams actually shift differently for each batter. I am not talking about sliding your SS a few steps, I am referring to an all out position move (3 IF on left side of IF for example).

I have yet to play a team in fast-pitch where they utilize the shift. After looking at our teams spray chart a team would be wise to use a shift against 4 of my hitters.

Clearly the math validates these shifts (you can calculate runs saved). Just wondering why fast pitch is slow to catch on.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You would shift against our players too, the problem is for the most part the other Team does not know our hitters well enough except for the couple that are going to put it over the fence and the other Team moves the OF back.

I am not sure why collages do not do it more.

With small ball in SB, it would be interesting if major shifts would work or if the batter would figure it out and abuse the defense.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Anyone use defensive shifts on a regular basis? MLB is practically redefining standard positions as so many shifts are being utilized. Some teams actually shift differently for each batter. I am not talking about sliding your SS a few steps, I am referring to an all out position move (3 IF on left side of IF for example).

I have yet to play a team in fast-pitch where they utilize the shift. After looking at our teams spray chart a team would be wise to use a shift against 4 of my hitters.

Clearly the math validates these shifts (you can calculate runs saved). Just wondering why fast pitch is slow to catch on.

If you have the data on the spray charts and the time to analyze them, sure shifting makes a ton of sense. However I doubt most HS or travel teams even have enough data points on other teams hitter to make shifting practical or reliable. I'd think it would be more useful at the college level where the data might be more available.

That said I think most teams employ at least some sort of shift on known slappers at a minimum.

Mar 13, 2011
Not enough info, would be hard in travel ball for sure, I've often thought about this though.

May 6, 2012
Texas
My TB team has been using some shifts here and there but the last 3 months we have truly been using it a lot more and seeing how well it benefits us. It is no as easy during tournaments unless you scout the teams you are playing and still at that it is not fool proof but I think soon it will become more popular and common.

Jun 2, 2016
Would pitch (speed / location) be a factor? A spray chart may not be most reliable. I am interested in variations & situations where shifts are effectively used.

May 17, 2012
It's my understanding you pitch away from the shift to further encourage the batter to do what they don't want to do.

Example on a dead pull hitter shift fielders to left side and pitch away.
I'm
I am going to try this summer to do this. I will let you know my ancillary results. I already do things differnt things with my team. My parents are used to it.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
The one thing you need is your pitcher to hit her spots. I have shifted on known hitters before. Once, I relocated my left fielder directly behind 2nd base after a kid shot middle 6 times on us in two games during a tournament. My left fielder thought I was nuts! Batter popped up to the infield trying to pull it to the LF vacancy.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Mizzou put on a wicked shift (twice) in super regional game 02 vs Mich.

Batter was a lefty slap hitter.

Mizzou RF vacated her position to play near the 2B bag on the 3B side, and SS slid toward 3B some.

1st at bat, the batter flied out to LF.
2nd at bat, the batter beat the shift by laying down a *perfect* drag bunt to the 3B side of the pitcher and beat the throw to 1B.

great game of cat-and-mouse!

Jul 3, 2013
It didn't work out well in a game against Georgia earlier this year. Pitcher fielded a short bouncer and threw it into the right field corner for a 4 base error.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812