defensive positioning bases loaded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2009
I know score/situation would dictate positioning, but where do you like to position your "D" with bases loaded.

We were working on bases loaded situations broken plays etc. during our last practice and a few of us were in disagreement with positioning with the scenario below.

Winning run is on 3b in a tie game with less than 2 outs. How far in do you move your infield d to get the force out at home?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
How far in do you move your infield d to get the force out at home?

At first base, I move in to approx. 45 feet. I have never thought much about it. I move my young players in as far as they need to, to be able to throw home.

Jan 15, 2009
would also depend on time left in game. If it's early in the game I would only move up the SS far enough that she can make an out at home, I'd leave 2B back and try to prevent an even bigger inning.

If it's late in the game everyone up and coming home, and move outfield into the depth where they can catch and throw out a tagging runner from third without a cut.

Too many times I got caught trying to prevent one run early and found myself down 3 or 4 knowing I would have been out of the inning if I would have left the defense back.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You have to play the corners in enough to cover the squeeze. So, the depth of 1B and 3B depends upon their skill level. Normally, I would expect them to be a couple of steps in front of the bag.

I would play 2B even with the baseline.

As to SS, it depends upon how good she is at the scoop and throw. If she knows how to attack a ground ball, I would play her one or two steps behind the baseline. If she doesn't, I would play her even with the bag.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well the OP said winning run at 3rd, so I take it it's late in the game. With this scenario we move all infielders in close. If the ball is hit to anyone but F4 we try for the double play as F4 is moving to 1B. If the ball is hit to F4 we get the force at home

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Coach Kevin, what level are you playing? That would give me a heart attack. I am not saying you are wrong, but I like to keep it simple. :)

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
12U... of course it depends upon quite a bit... how fast the B/R is... How hard the ball is hit, ect. Seems to work pretty well at this age level. Say the batter hits a ground ball to F5... F5 throws it home, as F4 covers 1B. If our catcher thinks she can get the double play, we trust her arm and her judgement. If she can't, then she eats the ball.

Were you thinking a traditional 5-4-3 DP???? LOL

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ok, so start with a numbering system for both 3rd and 1st. Here is ours. Playing a 1 is when we know for sure that a hitter is bunting. FOR SURE!!! The players (1st and 3rd) are half way down the line. Playing a 2 is where they start 2 feet in front of the bag but aggressively creep as the ball leaves the hand. Playing a 3 is where they start even with the bag and then creep in. Playing a 4 is where they are 2 steps beyond the bag. Then, your SS and 2B have to adjust to the corner's positioning. I'm not a big fan of playing all in. Although it involves baseball, we kept a stat for 2 years on success playing in. It wasn't good. We then adjusted the corners working off of this system and we seemed to have a lot of success. Naturally, the key then is to be able to honestly judge the range of the SS and 2B since in practice you will assign "spots" for them to be in in this scenerio. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802