DEfense help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2016
This is what I found with athletes that aren't afraid of the ball but may have difficulty.

1. She fields balls to the left and right because they take a bit more concentration to get. Balls right at her are easy, so she begins to do the next step, before she has secured the ball. She is peeking for the runner right before touch. Talk to her about her multi-tasking and remind her that without the ball, you can't make the out, therefore the ball must be secured first.

2. Glove flips and timing. Does she flip her glove right before touch. Left and right, you don't see flipping because of the attack angle and ball travel, but ball right at her might mean she feels she has more time and can flip the glove at the last minute.

3. This I call Helicopter or Airplane. Does she drop as the ball gets closer, or does she gradually get lower as the ball travels to her. Similar to the creep but as we approach the ball we simulate our body coming in for a landing like an airplane, not dropping like a helicopter.

Observe these in game and if you can, video her as she plays the position. Like the others have said, I think it is technique.

Sep 19, 2018
Does someone have a link to the video of the Orioles infield coach where he bounces balls off of the infields face (IIRC tennis balls with a mask on)?

Apr 28, 2019
So my daughter is 16 and players on a showcase team. her game is solid, great bat, smart, everything is good except for one thing, fielding. she's not really fast enough to play outfield so every coach has played her in the infield. 3rd or 2nd. She can field a ball hit to her left or right good with that. But for some reason she struggles with anything hit straight to her. She pulls her head up and away causing the glove to come up. She wears a mask. I have tried everything, hitting 1000's of balls to her, slow rolling balls to her with the head down. She even pulls the head when I roll a ball on concert with no bounce. Any help?? we are very frustrated.

I wonder if this is a lack of killer instinct? or just scared? she says its not but I wonder. She's never been hit in the face without a mask so no injuries or any reason why she would be scared. This is the only hole in her game and could keep her out of college maybe,

Thanks
Mike Candrea has some helpful videos out from back when he coached Team USA. Basics like how to field ground balls etc...

Get her to hold a tennis ball under her chin while fielding start out slow. I do believe problem is more likely back on her heels at catch. Kind of like fight or flight response moving forward is an aggressive movement. If she gets stopped and retreats to her heels its a flight response and she will turn her head.

Nov 18, 2015
When it's hit right at her, she probably has too much time to think about it.

I think it was Antonelli in one of his videos - ask her to count the bounces the ball makes before it reaches her. There's no magic #, it's just a task to occupy the mind during those fractions of a second she's waiting for the ball to arrive.

The triangle drill may also serve the same purpose by encouraging her to move in to field each ball - even if it's straight at her, she's still doing something (moving in past the cones) other than thinking about what the ball is going to do.

May 10, 2019
Tell her to count the hops until the ball goes into her glove. This will clear her mind to what is causing her to shy away from the ball. Great drill for athletes that are going through a mental block or thinking to much or teling themselves "Don't miss it Don't miss.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
During my 13 year old season our coach hit rockets at us infielders and constantly reminded us to attack (move toward) the ball because it's hard to pull your head when you are in the process of attacking a ball. In practice and pregame warmups, EVERY TIME I waited for the ball to come, no matter how little time I had before the ball reached me, the coach berated me for being a "gutless wonder". This went for everyone on the infield including the pitchers. Again, we were expected to at least start moving toward the ball even if it was a rocket right at us. The result of the constant repetition and reminders to attack the ball caused even the most timid to not pull their head. We had a few balls bounce under gloves from mis-timed steps, but the pulling of the head never happened.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Tell her to count the hops until the ball goes into her glove. This will clear her mind to what is causing her to shy away from the ball. Great drill for athletes that are going through a mental block or thinking to much or teling themselves "Don't miss it Don't miss.
This somehow works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28