Defending against the slap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2009
Great replies everyone!

I have to tell you, I am entering my 2nd year of travel, (first year 14u) and have been managing my dd`s team since she was a "T" baller. I have found this forum to be one of the best resources on the net...

My thoughts as a first year 14u "B" team....(I want to keep things simple)

Pitch selection.....seems you all agree. Know the batters and tendencies. I`m going up and in, and low and away with the fastball. Would a change be a "no no"? Pitching is one of my strong points this season, and all 3 of my pitchers bring something different to the plate. I have a drop and screw to work with, but no rise.

Also, would it hurt you to pinch the alleys with the corners? What are the odds of it going down the lines?

JP

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Fastpitch Softball Pitching Instruction
Here is a good web site on what pitches to call. The Change is a NO NO! My dd is 14 plays 16U and as a good slapper, she would eat this up. I follow Hillhouse on what to pitch to a slapper. High inside normally gives her a walk , as she pulls back. The worst thing you can do to your defense is walk a Slapper. She normally has a green light to steal. Now you cannot throw a change up to the power hitter and they set on your fast ball. We throw outside corner breaking pitches that are low. Reasons mentioned above. But even a good slapper will handle this pitch. The good news not many good slappers that are 2.8 or better to first base out there. When I say good slapper, I'm talking about kids that can bunt, Slap or hit for power. You take away the first two if possible.

May 12, 2008
If a slapper is peeling off toward first or running too aggressively forward, a change can work well.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Mark H reason is she just turns it into an easy bunt. This is an easy pitch to take down the line, we take it down the first base line as a drag bunt and if she has speed you cannot get her out.

May 12, 2008
Against a good or even decent slapper, sure. If she's peeling off toward first like many beginners, she won't even be able to reach the low and away change.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Or, as Mark said, if she's a little aggressive with her footwork. If she runs herself out of the box (assuming you have a good change) she either has to take or should be called out for hitting it.

Even if she comes to a dead stop and bunts, you should be able to recognize that, and you're taking away some of her advantage (the running start). Remember, not every slapper is Lowe or Watley.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Not if she is using the new step over bunt style. She can punch slap or bunt and not step out of the box. I have a 14 year old , that is not Watley that loves this pitch. This just gives her more time to place the ball where she see the defense has a weak spot. Normally down the first base line and at 2.8 or quicker, you can't get them out. Bastian showed her the footwork that he used in China and it works on this pitch.

May 12, 2008
If she's not flying out of the box or peeling off toward first I wouldn't throw a slapper a change certainly.

How about a fastball in her ear hole?

:)

I'm just kidding. Although, when I was growing up playing baseball, that was how some things got handled.

I would have to agree with the low and away, and even better if your pitcher can throw a screwball there (or if you have a leftie that can throw a curve, even better :) )

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The screw ball is the pitch that works for my dd as a pitcher. . She is also a slapper and tells me it is the hardest pitch for her to control and wants to go back to third, because of the spin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45