Decoding Email from Coach after Tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
With a bcc you don't know how many girls were emailed. Coaches do that sometimes, so that everyone doesn't know what girls are being considered, etc.

To the OP: you already said this is probably the best fit of the teams your DD could try out for on Sunday, and she is already going to some Saturday tryouts.

As annoying as this is, the coach doesn't control the weather. All you know is your DD is being considered for a team for which she would like to play.

If I were in your situation, I would probably grumble a lot, and complain a lot, and vent about it to DFP, and then take my DD back on Sunday. And I am serious. Venting about the situation on DFP is probably a good thing. Gets the bad feelings out, so you can move on.

Yeah, we'll go. I'm not looking forward to her having to do two on Sat. and one on Sunday, but this is THE weekend for tryouts around here and many (most?) of the "big" orgs have their tryouts. Whichever ones you choose to miss in order to go to another overlapping one will be full. Two of the "big three" put on org tryouts for show anyway, I believe. It would be really rare to be picked from one of those.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
Yeah, we'll go. I'm not looking forward to her having to do two on Sat. and one on Sunday, but this is THE weekend for tryouts around here and many (most?) of the "big" orgs have their tryouts. Whichever ones you choose to miss in order to go to another overlapping one will be full. Two of the "big three" put on org tryouts for show anyway, I believe. It would be really rare to be picked from one of those.

Totally agree with that. Our head coach decided to step down and my DH took the team rather than dissolving it (6 returning players, we've picked up 2 in tryouts). This is our first time dealing with tryouts from this perspective (he's been an AC for 3 years but not HC). We only need a few but one of those is a pitcher of course. So we're patiently waiting til the big tryouts this weekend then we'll start having open workouts. The girls (well, parents - this is 12U) who are all wanting to make the Bullets/Vipers/Impact but don't can come work out with us then.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Totally agree with that. Our head coach decided to step down and my DH took the team rather than dissolving it (6 returning players, we've picked up 2 in tryouts). This is our first time dealing with tryouts from this perspective (he's been an AC for 3 years but not HC). We only need a few but one of those is a pitcher of course. So we're patiently waiting til the big tryouts this weekend then we'll start having open workouts. The girls (well, parents - this is 12U) who are all wanting to make the Bullets/Vipers/Impact but don't can come work out with us then.

Yep, there's SO much strategy involved in trying to plan which team to try out for when. If we were to get an offer from Team A, but we know we have Team B's tryout five days from then, how long will Team A be willing to wait, etc...? And knowing that she's apparently "on the bubble" with one or two teams, but has no offer in hand yet. I REALLY hope this is the last weekend we have to worry about this BS.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
How many kids does this coach have serious interest in if he is sending a form email? At least 5 to 10 is my guess, which means that the interest isn't all that serious IMO. I'd be looking elsewhere on Sunday.

I have been involved in travel ball for 6 years and have never sent an email to anyone that tried out. I always contacted the parents directly. Typically by phone, but when I failed to reach someone i would either leave a message or send a text asking them to call me. There is just something impersonal about email.... But, if you received that email, I can only assume that she is still under consideration. If you feel this team is the best fit for her, attend the tryouts and see what happens. If you don't feel this team is the best fit, move on. My personal opinion...

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'm kind of viewing the email as an invitation to a "callback" (I was a theater geek and that was the lingo we used). When you get a callback, it means they're interested, but don't have a good enough sense to know whether you're right for the part just yet. It's certainly not a guarantee, but you're definitely not going to get the part if you don't attend the callback. This coach had insufficient opportunity to see DD hit, which is her greatest strength as a player. They completed the infield/outfield portion of the tryout before the rain. He needed to see base-running and hitting. Probably needs to see more catching on an actual field (and not in the grass).

Jun 12, 2015
Every team we've been part of has used email to communicate with those who didn't make it and called the ones they wanted to offer. Personally I prefer email to phone calls by a LOT, either making or receiving.

Jun 21, 2015
I hate the tryout dance. Thankfully this year we just stayed with the current team. She did tryout at 2 A teams and got invited back to each for a second look (bubble), but we decided to stay with our current B team and continue to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I'm kind of viewing the email as an invitation to a "callback" (I was a theater geek and that was the lingo we used). When you get a callback, it means they're interested, but don't have a good enough sense to know whether you're right for the part just yet. It's certainly not a guarantee, but you're definitely not going to get the part if you don't attend the callback. This coach had insufficient opportunity to see DD hit, which is her greatest strength as a player. They completed the infield/outfield portion of the tryout before the rain. He needed to see base-running and hitting. Probably needs to see more catching on an actual field (and not in the grass).

Interesting. I heard a couple of girls at a recent tryout refer to getting a "callback" at the end of the tryout. Not sure what was involved, but DD 3 got an offer by a mass email with all bcc the next day.

Nov 29, 2009
DD 3 got an offer by a mass email with all bcc the next day.

bcc is a good way to keep the drama to a minimum. As a coach you don't know who knows who if you do a mass email. Better to keep that private.

Tryouts suck to begin with. I know as a coach tryouts are THE worst thing I hated dealing with. Some parents want guarantees and all kinds of other nonsense. I always hate calling the player's who've been cut. Invariably you end up trying to explain to a parent why their DD is not good enough and what they need to work on.... The 2 minute call turns into 15-30 trying not to sound ignorant or callous.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
All I can tell you is my daughter's experience.

My daughter tried out for a very well regarded national softball organization. I got a phone call about 24 hours after the first tryout. I did not answer since I did not recognize the phone #. It was one of the coaches that was analyzing the players at the tryout that called. They left a voicemail saying that they really liked what they saw at the first tryout, and requested that I bring my daughter back to the 2nd trout, if attending the 2nd tryout was an issue to let them know. All I did was text the person back confirming that we would be at the 2nd tryout.

This was a 10u team. After the 2nd tryout about 24 hours later we received the phone call and they offered my daughter a spot on the roster. We accepted.

If this is the team your daughter wants to play for, I would recommend you bring her to the tryout.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478