Decision time with 20+ player roster for mixed 1st 2nd year 14U team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
Even if my daughter was in the top couple players I would run away as fast as possible.

I can't even picture how you make any sense out of a 20 person roster. Given that you said the coach leans hard on the "top 9", I would guess the bottom few players go all season (and pay all the same expenses), and barely play at all.

Jun 11, 2013
It's actually pretty common in travel baseball to have big teams and only some travel. With that said no way would I play on a team with 20. Even if your kid plays every inning there are going to be some miserable parents in the stands.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This is what I would have proposed had I been asked, I am an assistant coach but wasn't asked to weigh in or be present for these discussions.

This is ridiculous and doomed to fail. Leave. Form your own team...you'll probably get a half-dozen from this roster before sundown.

May 4, 2020
Folks, we are facing a decision on what to do with our team's decision to merge the rising players from 12U with the 2nd year 14U. I'm not sure of the total roster count only that it would be around 20. Right now I can't imagine what this is going to look like with playing time (other than a nightmare). Basically the organization and coaching staff thought that the team couldn't be competitive if they were separated by 1st year and 2nd year. This roster is huge and I have no idea where DD fits into the lineup. The little that the team did play this spring/summer, she was outside of the top nine and coach barely got the bench players into the game. We have already got offers since the other teams in the area have heard what is happening but we love the team and org. Oh and it is rumored the fees are about to go through the roof as well. We have a parents meeting upcoming where I assume coach will explain the fees and some form of convincing that this will work.
I like 12 as my roster number. Twenty is way too many players and half the team most likely won’t see significant playing time.
I would look for other options within the Org if you like it that much. If there are no other options than what your describing then it’s time to move on so DD can develop her skills.

Aug 25, 2019
Wow, not only is this ridiculous, but this team is the Organization's cash cow. Don't even attend the meeting, get on a team where your DD will play. Even if your DD is one of the top 9 on that team, she will get resentment from the other 11 girls who are the subs, bad situation all around.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It's actually pretty common in travel baseball to have big teams and only some travel. With that said no way would I play on a team with 20. Even if your kid plays every inning there are going to be some miserable parents in the stands.
Baseball, because of pitching, is a different animal all together. My sons teams would use 6+ different pitchers on a weekend. My dds team 2-3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23