Decision time with 20+ player roster for mixed 1st 2nd year 14U team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2019
Folks, we are facing a decision on what to do with our team's decision to merge the rising players from 12U with the 2nd year 14U. I'm not sure of the total roster count only that it would be around 20. Right now I can't imagine what this is going to look like with playing time (other than a nightmare). Basically the organization and coaching staff thought that the team couldn't be competitive if they were separated by 1st year and 2nd year. This roster is huge and I have no idea where DD fits into the lineup. The little that the team did play this spring/summer, she was outside of the top nine and coach barely got the bench players into the game. We have already got offers since the other teams in the area have heard what is happening but we love the team and org. Oh and it is rumored the fees are about to go through the roof as well. We have a parents meeting upcoming where I assume coach will explain the fees and some form of convincing that this will work.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Best of luck with this. I would go to a team where I could watch DD play. Edit: Kids don't really need to experience that type of emotional drama just to play do they?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Cant they have a tryout and get 6 players and have 2 teams?? Not playing on a 20 player roster even if DD is one of the chosen 10 come brackets. Just not doing it. Also if you have 20 players on one team dues should go down..

Apr 25, 2019
Instead of an 06 and an 07 team, I would say do an A and a B team. Whatever your teams colors are, it could be like that. Hittin' Kittens- White and a Hittin' Kittens- Purple. Split them up by talent instead of birth years. Then the A team can go and be competitive in either A or B class tournaments and the B team can go and be competitive in C class.

Host tryouts for any spots that you may have open.

Feb 27, 2019
Instead of an 06 and an 07 team, I would say do an A and a B team. Whatever your teams colors are, it could be like that. Hittin' Kittens- White and a Hittin' Kittens- Purple. Split them up by talent instead of birth years. Then the A team can go and be competitive in either A or B class tournaments and the B team can go and be competitive in C class.

Host tryouts for any spots that you may have open.

This is what I would have proposed had I been asked, I am an assistant coach but wasn't asked to weigh in or be present for these discussions.