Deciding starting pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2019
First 10u c tournament this weekend. How do u guys decide on starting pitcher? Mentalness, concistance, fast,. This is a lot of girls first year

Apr 28, 2014
Pick out of a hat. IMO it's not about winning at 10U, more about giving girls time and helping them work through their learning curve. All will be fine. Good Luck!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
10U C. Who walks the least number of batters is the best pitcher. The way to find out is let them all pitch some. What happens in practice doesn't always translate to games.

Feb 16, 2019
thanks guys, the problem is the one that throws the most strikes gets mentally killed when a batter gets up. Its our first tournament so i will just have to experiment. The one that throws hard but doesnt throw as many strikes is the one that is the best mentally ready, nothing fazes her

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In my opinion, the primary goal of a 10u coach is to create an environment that fosters development and enjoyment of the sport. The success of a 10u coach is not measured by wins or losses, but by how many of those same players choose to play 12u.

Jul 14, 2018
In my opinion, the primary goal of a 10u coach is to create an environment that fosters development and enjoyment of the sport. The success of a 10u coach is not measured by wins or losses, but by how many of those same players choose to play 12u.

^^^This, most importantly. If it's a tournament, I assume it's two or three pool games before any eliminations. They should all pitch. Get everyone who wants to pitch warmed up before each game, and rotate the starts. Be ready to swap girls in and out of the circle. Don't let any one kid linger there too long if she can't throw strikes. Make sure it's fun! When you walk out to make a switch, don't look gloomy. Stride out there with a smile and a joke ready. Make sure they all know that you're proud of the courage it takes to be the one holding the ball, no matter what the result is.

Sep 25, 2018
We are also 10U - we have all of our pitchers warm up (right now we have 3) and whoever is throwing the best gets to start! And by best, I mean consistent strikes, or at least in the zone!
Pitchers are going to have off days and 10 year olds are definitely going to have off days! lol

Apr 20, 2017
It also depends some on the team you are playing. At 10u you can have teams that just stand there waiting for a walk or face teams that are there to hit the ball or go down swinging. Faster girl for teams wanting to hit. The better strike thrower for the teams wanting to walk.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Easy to overthink...I know I did. Flip a coin. The one who loses pitches the following game. There's always another one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom