Deciding on a sanctioning body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

So we are looking to establish a team for the 2019-2020 season in Tennessee. We are ok traveling but are looking for advice on which body to sanction with. Any advice would be helpful as we just want to give our girls the best competition and opportunities. Thanks in advance for any input.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It is not all or nothing. Most teams sanction with more than one association. I think my 18U team is sanctioned with 3 alphabets. I would find out what tournaments are nearest to you which provide the level of competition you want and start there. You will need only 1 insurance policy. Used to go through ASA(Bollinger) but found USSSA about the same price and could be completed 100% online.

Feb 26, 2018
ASA/USA and USSSA and you should be good. Not sure what level your team is, but maybe even PGF too.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Like Riseball stated, it's not an all or nothing scenario. Join whoever is the strongest/ most stable in your area of play. It won't exclude you from playing in tournaments sponsored by other outfits.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It is not all or nothing. Most teams sanction with more than one association. I think my 18U team is sanctioned with 3 alphabets. I would find out what tournaments are nearest to you which provide the level of competition you want and start there. You will need only 1 insurance policy. Used to go through ASA(Bollinger) but found USSSA about the same price and could be completed 100% online.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This... figure out where you are going to play and set up a schedule. What is popular in your area for the level of team you are forming is where you start.

You then sanction based on your schedule. If you are a relatively inexperienced/younger team you will likely stay local-ish within one sanction which saves on costs for the first season.

Experienced and older teams sometimes end up sanctioning all over the place as Riseball says.

And yes - USSSA has the easiest insurance set up, works for all sanctions and has BY FAR the best website for everything. Most other sanctions online seem to be stuck somewhere in the late 90"s for some reason.

Mar 7, 2016
And yes - USSSA has the easiest insurance set up, works for all sanctions and has BY FAR the best website for everything. Most other sanctions online seem to be stuck somewhere in the late 90"s for some reason.

agree X 10000, nothing close. The only place where you can see accurate team history, roster changes, roster history.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

I believe PGF requires you to sign up for their own insurance to participate in their events.

Apr 20, 2017
Depends on where your at in Tennessee. Several different groups here and different levels of play. If you will put west, middle or east it would help give you better idea on your options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802