Dear Catcher.. from your freindly umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
DD had a tournament last weekend where some of the top 10U teams in the country were playing (hers isn't one of them :LOL:) A few of the pitchers were throwing mid to high 50's from 35 feet. 3 separate times I saw a catcher completely whiff on a chest high fastball and the ump taking it directly in the facemask..ouch.

May 1, 2018
As a coach, if the ump gets hit good...... call time and talk to your batter. I have called time and talked to my pitcher after an ump was hit and I stood there with my arm over her shoulder and just waited for the ump to shake it off, just told my pitcher why I called time and waited for the ump. Everyone in the park knew what I was doing cause I called time so fast. Ump didn't charge me for the time. Same as a good ump cleaning the plate when the catcher needs a min.

May 6, 2015
As a coach, if the ump gets hit good...... call time and talk to your batter. I have called time and talked to my pitcher after an ump was hit and I stood there with my arm over her shoulder and just waited for the ump to shake it off, just told my pitcher why I called time and waited for the ump. Everyone in the park knew what I was doing cause I called time so fast. Ump didn't charge me for the time. Same as a good ump cleaning the plate when the catcher needs a min.
wow, was confused as all hell til I realized I was reading it wrong, mentally putting a comma after hit o_O

Jun 8, 2016
I was just watching, not participating. No time call was needed as the umpires in question just walked away to get their wits about them.

May 29, 2015
wow, was confused as all hell til I realized I was reading it wrong, mentally putting a comma after hit o_O

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I had the same reaction and was going to talk about the value of punctuation!

While I appreciate that as a ump, it would precarious if the other team pushed the issue later in the game (to force a pitcher out or to prevent an offensive conference later in the inning). If you are going to do that, try to get the BU to come over to verify you aren’t doing any coaching (kind of like an injury time out). Best practice is to have the catcher go out.

Last edited:
I’m going to say this not trying to be disrespectful. But the umpires should call the pitch by where the ball is when it crosses the plate and stop worrying about what catcher is doing afterwards

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I’m going to say this not trying to be disrespectful. But the umpires should call the pitch by where the ball is when it crosses the plate and stop worrying about what catcher is doing afterwards

Not disrespectful at all.

I absolutely do call it that way - but I also absolutely appreciate a catcher who makes everything easier by making it easy as possible to do so.

May 28, 2019

honestly, just seems like some umps are high maintenance!!!

Jul 21, 2017
honestly, just seems like some umps are high maintenance!!!

This was an amazing thread until this comment.

Great input, I will have my catcher daughter reading all but the last comment! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk