Dear Catcher.. from your freindly umpire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2016
We had a couple of umpires this year that would signal where the pitch missed on every ball. It went over well with the coaches, and made the umpire seem really assured of his own call.
I've been seeing this from a lot of umps this season on close pitches too. It's nice for us in the dugout and our pitchers so they can adjust on their own. Otherwise we ask our catchers and they can always tell us even at 12u where the pitcher is missing or if blue just has a tight a zone.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
When I used to umpire in the dead ball era we would either state or signal where it missed. Nothing elaborate. The best thing about that is if a coach asks after that you can ask him if he is arguing a ball/strike call which usually would shut them up.

May 21, 2014
We had a couple of umpires this year that would signal where the pitch missed on every ball. It went over well with the coaches, and made the umpire seem really assured of his own call.

it does. But most umps won't do it "because it's not in the handbook or it's not their job". I can understand thatut think about what calls all the parents moan about....it's always an in or out pitch that there is no way they can see from their angle. If you motion where it missed it shuts them up 99% of the time.

Oct 4, 2018
Our parents just don't know the game of softball nor the rules all that well.

At a game last weekend, they were all outraged that our runner was called out at first when the first baseman used the outside bag due to an errant throw.

The parents yelled enough that the umps conferred on their own, and confirmed their "OUT" call.

I tried to explain the rule to the parents. They simply wouldn't believe me. Perhaps 1 out of the 20 of them went home and looked it up.

Of course if it ever happens opposite with the other team at bat, sure as heck they'll be convinced they know the rule this time. :p

... and of course I'm the bad guy for agreeing with the umps that our girl was out.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Our parents just don't know the game of softball nor the rules all that well.

At a game last weekend, they were all outraged that our runner was called out at first when the first baseman used the outside bag due to an errant throw.

The parents yelled enough that the umps conferred on their own, and confirmed their "OUT" call.

I tried to explain the rule to the parents. They simply wouldn't believe me. Perhaps 1 out of the 20 of them went home and looked it up.

Of course if it ever happens opposite with the other team at bat, sure as heck they'll be convinced they know the rule this time. :p

... and of course I'm the bad guy for agreeing with the umps that our girl was out.

It's almost like you were at our game last weekend. Of course our team was the one that used the opposite bag on a drop third that carried the catcher(DD) into foul territory.

Same weekend, opposing coach argued with the umpire(s), and they even had to call the TD over when our third baseman, chasing a foul ball, ran into one of his base runners who had left the bag on the pitch. "She was in the baseline!" ... C'mon son.

...and I'm always the bad guy when it comes to the rules. I feel your pain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802