Dealing with bad coach and owner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
threads here that discuss the pros/cons of "daddy ball" vs non-parent coached teams. Both have their positives and drawbacks. Paid coaches in youth ball generally don't get paid enough to ensure the professional approach parents are looking for. Personally, I'll take a committed and knowledgeable set of parents every time. Yeah, they're in it because of their kids, but the resulting effort tends to benefit everyone.
This is a great nugget of observation!

May 6, 2015
in our area, you normally pay a couple hundred up front (to cement your spot), then monthly installments of anywhere from $100-200, and you generally pay for each season separately. a lot of orgs buy only one uniform for fall, then another one or two jerseys (and socks, belts, etc.) for spring, and if doing helmets and/or bags, these wait until spring as well.

if any fundraising funds are dedicated to the families (ie generally after team minimum met, a lot of teams then give the girls the profits), these are deducted on last payment(s).

I would shy away from anyone who wanted it all up front for both seasons.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
In So Cal most teams pay monthly dues. Start up and uniform ($300 to $700) when you join the team. If things aren't going the way you think they should, you leave.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In So Cal most teams pay monthly dues. Start up and uniform ($300 to $700) when you join the team. If things aren't going the way you think they should, you leave.
California'shuffle
🎶 cleat'scootin'boogie...🎶
What the heck would happen to people here if they had no other choice...
LOL brawl or protest LOL

What area's in any state has no other choices?
Within 1 hour drive? 2 hours?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If I was going to cough up $3000 plus for a season the coaches would all be vetted and there would be a contract written by my lawyer. LOL
There is a lot of team jumping is So Cal and wonder why the all upfront commitment system has not been tried here.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My youngest daughter is on an overfilled team that rosters 15, 12 U level. It appears that the owner does this to line his pockets every year. Promises of non-parent coaching, excellent training...yada..yada ..yada.........
I think I know how to handle, but looking for advice anyway to see if there is a good way to approach this without going nuclear....... thanks in advance

- This is an expensive mistake you made by not doing your research fully and falling for their BS. Walk and be done with it. If you get some money back, great - if not well that is the cost of learning. You missed: Huge rosters, head coch who can't be there, AC who loses it, etc, etc... You aren't changing them...
- 'Daddy Ball' is mostly BS - it is just a symptom of bad coching (or parents whining). As you JUST learned, non-parent coaches are not any sort of guarentee of a better situation. Find a good coach - kid on the team or not. There are plenty of true 18U-Gold teams coached by parents who are flat out fantastic coaches. Find the right situation for your kid.

If I was going to cough up $3000 plus for a season the coaches would all be vetted and there would be a contract written by my lawyer. LOL
There is a lot of team jumping is So Cal and wonder why the all upfront commitment system has not been tried here.

Because there are so many teams in places like So Cal (and where I live in FL), the power to make someone 'commit' to all sorts of things upfront is just not there. People would just laugh at you. I am not signing a 6 month commit or paying everything up front or whatever - I don't care who you are..... You don't get to own my DD or my family - I have lots of options who will happily take DD without any of that.

When there are fewer options, the power swings the other way. You don't have a convenient 'next team' to go to so an org can demand more commitment because where else are you going?

We once played a 14U team from the backend of Arkansas... or as everyone normally calls it... Arkansas. Their team had a $1,500 deposit to try out which they kept if you made the team, and only got $1,300 back if you didn't. As their HC told us - the next decent team is well over 3 hours away so it is them or massive inconvenience so what are they going to do?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020
N.E.
Thanks for all the replies...... I will likely walk away. The organization on a whole....sucks...... no answers for any of what goes on. The word will get out over time and they will eventually go away or someone else will fill their shoes...... yelling at a 12 year old kid by a coach is troubling on so many levels and displays a lack of control, not only of themself, but of the situation that they allowed to get to where they got out of hand. If the adult can't help themselves, how can they help "coach" a kid..... onward and upward I guess

May 6, 2015
We once played a 14U team from the backend of Arkansas... or as everyone normally calls it... Arkansas. Their team had a $1,500 deposit to try out which they kept if you made the team, and only got $1,300 back if you didn't. As their HC told us - the next decent team is well over 3 hours away so it is them or massive inconvenience so what are they going to do?

standup during the tryouts and shout to all the other parents that you are starting a new travel team, tuition/dues paid on monthly basis, no tryout fee, and you are not trying to fleece them in any way. then call bank and put stop payment on the check ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802