Dead ball batter/runner safe after interference call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2016
Runner on first one out. Ground ball to second basewoman. Runner going from 1st to 2nd called for interference (made contact with second basewoman). Second basewoman still fields the ball and tags the runner going to second in the back throws to 1st and gets the batter/base runner out at first. Ruling was dead ball as soon as interference called and batter/baserunner going to first is safe??? the NSA rulebook is hard to understand on this ruling. The NSA rulebook is not clear on alot of things and is written very poorly in my opinion. I thought we had a double play and were out of the inning of course they went on to rally and score 2 or maybe even three runs after that. I was not happy. Is this ruling correct???

Thanks for any help on understanding this.

Jun 22, 2008
Interference is an immediate dead ball, nothing can happen after its called. The runner who committed the interference is out, any other runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference (unless force forward by the batter/runner) and the batter runner is awarded 1st base. The only time you get more than 1 out on an interference call is if the runner committing the interference was attempting to break up a double play.

Aug 26, 2018
We had a runner hit by a line drive as she was running to second. She was not called out because the 1st basewoman (who was no where near the play) was positioned a foot in front of the base while the runner was hit. In baseball the runner is out automatically. Why does it matter if it goes past a infielder playing in for a bunt? I couldn’t even argue because that’s the rule. But.... what a stupid rule! What’s the logic behind that? I should have my runners run into the ball from now on to redirect it so we can round the bases

Jun 22, 2008
We had a runner hit by a line drive as she was running to second. She was not called out because the 1st basewoman (who was no where near the play) was positioned a foot in front of the base while the runner was hit. In baseball the runner is out automatically. Why does it matter if it goes past a infielder playing in for a bunt? I couldn’t even argue because that’s the rule. But.... what a stupid rule! What’s the logic behind that? I should have my runners run into the ball from now on to redirect it so we can round the bases

And once again, the rule is the same in baseball. So no, the out is not automatic in baseball.

Jul 24, 2013
One thing to keep in mind... In baseball. fielders rarely play in front of the baseline. That is why the runner is usually called out when the runner gets hit by a batted ball. In fastpitch, the first and third baseman play in front of the bag but the 2nd baseman and shortstop play back. Here is an example of what can happen in fastpitch. Runner on 1st. Ground ball is hit to the right of 1st baseman. 1B can't field the ball but 2nd baseman has a possible play. If the batted ball hits the runner, the runner is out.

A second example... same situation, except this time the runner on 1st is attempting to steal 2nd base. The 2nd baseman sees the steal attempt and leaves her position to cover 2nd base, thus preventing her from having a play on the ball. The runner gets hit by the ground ball. In this example, the runner is not out because the ball passed a fielder (1st baseman) and no other infielders had a chance of making the play because the 2nd baseman took herself out of the play by covering 2nd base.

A third, highly unlikely consideration is the right fielder. If the umpire felt she had a play at throwing the batter out at first, the runner who was hit by the batted ball could be called out. The right fielder would have to be playing in and the ball would have to be hit really hard right at her.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Interference is an immediate dead ball, nothing can happen after its called. The runner who committed the interference is out, any other runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference (unless force forward by the batter/runner) and the batter runner is awarded 1st base. The only time you get more than 1 out on an interference call is if the runner committing the interference was attempting to break up a double play.

Comp-

Could the umpire, in the scenario presented, deem that the interference was an attempt to break up a double play and enforce the second out, or is that mostly reserved for plays around second base?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
A third, highly unlikely consideration is the right fielder. If the umpire felt she had a play at throwing the batter out at first, the runner who was hit by the batted ball could be called out. The right fielder would have to be playing in and the ball would have to be hit really hard right at her.

Apparently, not that unlikely since the rule was changed specifically to address the possibility. IMO, more likely at the lower levels, but I've seen it occur a few times at the HS level.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Apparently, not that unlikely since the rule was changed specifically to address the possibility. IMO, more likely at the lower levels, but I've seen it occur a few times at the HS level.

Batter runner got gunned out from right field in the Braves-Pirates game last week. Happens at all levels, especially in softball.

May 6, 2015
One thing to keep in mind... In baseball. fielders rarely play in front of the baseline. That is why the runner is usually called out when the runner gets hit by a batted ball. In fastpitch, the first and third baseman play in front of the bag but the 2nd baseman and shortstop play back. Here is an example of what can happen in fastpitch. Runner on 1st. Ground ball is hit to the right of 1st baseman. 1B can't field the ball but 2nd baseman has a possible play. If the batted ball hits the runner, the runner is out.

I wish. we had just that scenario this spring, U ruled no interference, as 1B had opportunity to make play before it struck runner. did not even consider 2B might make play. I thought it was an egregiously bad call, should not be if one fielder had a chance, then it no longer applies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802