DD's Throwdown in ITB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I give, you win 😆

I’m not sure what you want. My point is that I don’t think more or less of a catcher because they are a lefty, and anyone who is prejudiced against lefty catchers isn’t paying attention to the details.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m not sure what you want.
You made good points regarding the advantages of being a lefty catcher and was just curious if you would give the edge to LHT catcher in a tryout situation where everything was equal (given what you are typically able to judge in a tryout including hitting) but you didn't want to play along with my little thought experiment ;)

Anyway, I learned something from your comments so actually we both won.. :)

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Framing / Blocking - no clear advantage either way.
Throwing to 1B - Timing advantage to LHC
Throwing to 2B - Positional advantage to RHC. Most batters are RH, inherently easier for RHC to make the throw as there's more room between RHC throwing arm and batter. No slight side step required
Throwing to 3B - timing advantage to RHC

None of these are guarantees, I've seen more than my share of top end LHC that are better than their RHC counterparts.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Throwing to 2B - Positional advantage to RHC. Most batters are RH, inherently easier for RHC to make the throw as there's more room between RHC throwing arm and batter. No slight side step required

None of these are guarantees, I've seen more than my share of top end LHC that are better than their RHC counterparts.

Would add tags at home, advantage RHC.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Would add tags at home, advantage RHC.

Fielding bunts - Advantage LHC

It's pretty much a trade-off with enough things that throwing hand doesn't matter to me.

You made good points regarding the advantages of being a lefty catcher and was just curious if you would give the edge to LHT catcher in a tryout situation where everything was equal (given what you are typically able to judge in a tryout including hitting) but you didn't want to play along with my little thought experiment ;)

Anyway, I learned something from your comments so actually we both won.. :)

I knew what your angle was ;) I would not presume an advantage for a LHT catcher...or a RHT catcher.

Assuming they are both identically skilled on the field, you then have to start looking at the bigger picture - personality fit with the team, parents' attitude, ownership of a pole barn, etc.

Mar 28, 2016
I would say that unlike other infield positions you can get away with both. All things being equal I would take the RH because of the tag play at home, and throwing a runner stealing 3rd >>> any pickoff play.
The bunt to the left side of the infield favors the LH'er.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
SS/3B/2B make a majority of their plays to their left (throw to 1B), which is a much more challenging move for a lefty. Because of this, a lefty IF is a liability. This is not the case for C. A lefty catcher has an easier play on a bunt (a bigger factor in softball vs. baseball), and has an quicker move on a back-pick to 1B (way more throws to go 1B than 3B). Also, a RH pitcher is going to have a trajectory that is more often moving across the plate left to right (catcher's POV), which puts a lefty C in a better body and arm position to receive those pitches. I will take the catcher than does a better job on the field, regardless of which hand they throw with.

First of all great throw. I love watching lefty catchers because my DD was one until 14U. She only stopped because she had bruised her knee during volleyball and things worked out where she didn't have to play catcher anymore.

As for lefty's it can be difficult to play other IF positions. DD has now played 7 positions in both TB and HS. Only two left for her are 3B and P and I hope we are never desperate enough for her to pitch. She only throws a change up and nothing else. Not that she has a change up but she probably couldn't hit 45mph so it looks like one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28