DDs see no honor in being called up to varsity, and riding the bench-hear me out.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
We are all allowed to have emotions. I totally understand preferring to play on JV than to ride the bench on Varsity. But how the player behaves in practice and games in way more important that how they feel. I don't think the OP ever gave any indication that his DDs were not behaving like a good teammates.

Having said that, you hope that they can separate being disappointed with sitting yet understand that it IS an honor to be on the team. I have a freshman DD as well. She does not play softball, but I do understand that separating emotions from the whole activity is hard.

cmn

Sep 17, 2009
Man this is tough. My DDs played high level travel ball, one played 4 years of varsity at a relatively small private high school and the other (who was actually better but played at a larger public high school) played two years of JV, a year starting varsity in the outfield (she was an infielder) and then quit her senior year. It was ALL stressful.

My suggestion would be NOT to fight the reality you are facing, including spending a lot of time on boards or in front of your kids or on the sidelines asking if this is the right way to run the high school program. It probably isn't right. But it's the situation they are in. This guy runs a program to keep girls involved by ensuring juniors and seniors elevate into playing time. Two choices: understand your girls will be on the same path, and be a supportive teammate the first two years and significant players the final two. Or quit and train or play on a spring travel team. You know what they say about insanity, right? Keep your sanity, enjoy your falls and summers and eventually your springs in a couple of years.

May 15, 2016
If the coach is more concerned about playing upperclassmen who do not deserve to be on the field...Leave.

She would love to, but her TB coach said she should stay in school ball, even if it's just so a college recruiter won't wonder why she isn't balling HS ball.

May 15, 2016
you hope that they can separate being disappointed with sitting yet understand that it IS an honor to be on the team.

She gave me a bit more information last night. She says a clique has formed among many of the upperclassmen, and she feels they all hate her. A senior found out DD will be playing in the same 16/18u showcase this summer that the senior is playing in. Who knows if that is behind the clique, but she is now feeling unwelcome by many on the team.

I understand why she wouldn't want to be riding the bench with such a clique.

Mar 28, 2014
She gave me a bit more information last night. She says a clique has formed among many of the upperclassmen, and she feels they all hate her. A senior found out DD will be playing in the same 16/18u showcase this summer that the senior is playing in. Who knows if that is behind the clique, but she is now feeling unwelcome by many on the team.

Some good life lessons to be learned here Bob, lets hope you guide her through correctly. If you do, she will come out of this for the better.

Nov 18, 2013

It's crazy how upper classmen tend to alienate freshman who think they're better than everyone and riding the bench is beneath them. Hard to believe telling the other parents all about the terrible injustice your daughters are facing hasn't helped the situation.

Mar 28, 2014
It's crazy how upper classmen tend to alienate freshman who think they're better than everyone and riding the bench is beneath them. Hard to believe telling the other parents all about the terrible injustice your daughters are facing hasn't helped the situation.
Yes the lack of self awareness is startling

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Bob, you and Francis or BBSG are living in a parallel universe. His son is having the exact same issues.

You use the word, "they" a lot. So, you sit around and "they" come to you with these complaints? "They" and your dd need to teach that coach a lesson and quit the team.

Jul 14, 2017

Sarcastic and judgmental much? How about upperclassmen who act like mean girls instead of mentors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812