DDs see no honor in being called up to varsity, and riding the bench-hear me out.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Ok, I am going to back off our conversation now.

Haha... Don't ask the questions if you don't want to hear the answers.

One DD already said she will finish off this season, but has doubts about going back next year.

I'm sure the HS coach of 20 years has seen this time and time again. TB players who do not stick it out with school ball. So, in hindsight, he may have been better off starting the returning Junior, over your DD. Odds are, the Junior will be back next season.

Honestly, I would expect JV players who were not called up, to be in the stands cheering their team on.

May 15, 2016
Haha... Don't ask the questions if you don't want to hear the answers.
Once you decided, without all the facts, that my children are selfish, then I don't see the point in continuing the conversation.

I'm sure the HS coach of 20 years has seen this time and time again. TB players who do not stick it out with school ball. So, in hindsight, he may have been better off starting the returning Junior, over your DD. Odds are, the Junior will be back next season.

Again, without all the facts.

DDs were very excited to be playing school ball, as they took part in school teams in the fall and winter. They knew full well that the team was not going to be strong but they thought it would be nice to play with girls from their school. The coach, who doesn't have a good reputation, makes the experience miserable for many of the players. A mother a senior said to me her daughter can't wait to be finished with the coach. Another parent told me his daughter, who plays club basketball, will not play on the school team because of he coaches the basketball team.

We've had very few TB players in our town over the years. Our town has seen maybe two softball players recruited to play college ball over the past dozen years. I wouldn't say that makes him knowledgable.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Yes, you're doing something very wrong. You need to stop complaining about the HS program and especially stop it in front of your daughters. They could learn so much if they, and you, treated it as an opportunity and just shut your mouth. I don't doubt they have more talent than some of the upper classmen. What they lack is experience and maturity. They can learn a lot more watching a varsity game from the dugout than they can playing in a JV game. It really is an honor for them to be called up. It's a shame you can't see it.

Feb 7, 2014
Yes, you're doing something very wrong. You need to stop complaining about the HS program and especially stop it in front of your daughters. They could learn so much if they, and you, treated it as an opportunity and just shut your mouth. I don't doubt they have more talent than some of the upper classmen. What they lack is experience and maturity. They can learn a lot more watching a varsity game from the dugout than they can playing in a JV game. It really is an honor for them to be called up. It's a shame you can't see it.

Yup, sounds about right to me.

Feb 8, 2019
Ok Bob516- i understand. We had a varsity coach who, after 15 years of coaching girls softball, never did learn how to coach female athletes. He was all about the drama. Weak-minded with a tough-guy image of himself. There are some HS coaches who are good and have integrity. There are some who do not. My DD was a4-year starter and 3 year all-star, but it frustrated her to see him pamper the popular girls and torment the kids who wanted to play. (Popular kid=long leash, other non-starters=short leash. 1 strike and you’re out. ) In the past, i have seen him drive the best pitcher in her class outof softball and turn an excellent SS into a track star. Never saw him do anything positive for a softball player.
I am proud of one of my former players who is playing JV because she wants to. She feels shes not ready and the new coach is letting her do it.

Mar 22, 2019
Illinois
Too much is being read into being a good team member here. Sometimes these coaches are a little more "member" than team to begin with. These girls had a "team" and they were pulled from it thinking someone believes in them so highly they are leveling up. Then come to find out they are not valued as such is damaging to their mental health. If you want a kid then play the kid otherwise use what you have and leave the younger girls on their "team".

Jul 14, 2017
I’m sorry but I think there are quite a few harsh responses here and/or I am a selfish parent myself.

My daughter was 1 of 2 freshman chosen for Varsity last year. DD would pinch run, every now and then pinch hit and saw a handful of innings in right field. There was no rhyme or reason from what I could see to her contributions. She hit a HR on Friday, she sat the entire Saturday.

If our Varsity team was of a certain caliber that she’d be learning by watching girls that were more talented, that would be one thing. However, we are an average group with little fire and low energy. It seems that starters are chosen by seniority/grandfathered siblings/or maybe someone in the family works for the town.

When your kid starts every game regardless of batting average and errors on the field, it is real easy to give the whole “team” speech. My personal feelings aside, I’d never complain to the coach or go to the AD. Fearing that she’ll look ungrateful or disrespectful, DD would never talk to the coach either.

Whatever role she is given, she accepts and tries her best- even when some of the older team mates are less than supportive. Another thing to note is that in this game of failure, those failures are magnified when your opportunities are few and far between. For a kid like mine, who wants to do her best and is so hard on herself when she doesn’t this situation can ruin your love for the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If the coach is more concerned about playing upperclassmen who do not deserve to be on the field...Leave. That is not team work, that is some dumbass mindset to reward JRs and SRs that stuck it out. Team work is justified by winning or having the best shot at winning. It does nothing to justify losing.

Dec 18, 2016
You know...I really have a hard time with all the comments, "if you don't like it leave." There has been a commitment made. The girls aren't being bullied, or tormented or are in danger! This mindset of just leaving is becoming all too frequent.

Not to highjack the post, but my DD's Travel team just had two girls leave with three tournaments left and only 9 girls total to begin with. You complete your commitment and if it's not right for you, then you move on. Quitting in the middle of the season only teaches people how to be quitters.

I'm not saying stick around if it's a dangerous or toxic situation but to quit because you don't agree with the coach?! You want to have your way, start a team, get a job as a coach...they get paid so much I'm sure all the moaning and groaning from all the other experts who know they could do it better is worth it.

End of rant.
D-

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478