DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The avg mlb batspeed is 69 mph.....
The only thing I wanted you to answer was this:

"Just arguing here that the result of a mishit, which everyone will have at some point, with a higher barrel velocity will have a higher chance of success than one which had a lower barrel velocity."

Agree or disagree?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The only thing I wanted you to answer was this:

"Just arguing here that the result of a mishit, which everyone will have at some point, with a higher barrel velocity will have a higher chance of success than one which had a lower barrel velocity."

Agree or disagree?

Not sure. Too many variables. How many times have you seen a duck fart start a rally or break up a no hitter or keep a rally going?

If your saying that max barrel speed is better to create mishits, I agree 😆

Jun 8, 2016
If your saying that max barrel speed is better to create mishits, I agree 😆
Reading comprehension @Work=wins , reading comprehension.

So on popups to the IF it is a wash. Ground balls the harder hit the better (with the exception being DP balls). The only question would be mishit line drives I guess.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am still having a hard time with MLB players swinging at 69 mph and Bobby's DD at 94 mph. Don't think we are using same sensors. A 94 mph swing on a 65 mph pitch struck just below the equator of the ball would travel approximately 965 ft.

Jun 8, 2016
I am still having a hard time with MLB players swinging at 69 mph and Bobby's DD at 94 mph. Don't think we are using same sensors. A 94 mph swing on a 65 mph pitch struck just below the equator of the ball would travel approximately 965 ft.
He was talking about exit velocity I think, not swing speed.

Average exit velocity 69 is for all swings with contact I would guess. Here is a chart for how batting average varies with exit speed.
1_4GbU_L6Ji0voDINWkT9WvQ.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Carew was a surgeon with the bat. He wanted to win his battle with the pitcher everytime up. HOFer. Do the least and live the longest comes to mind.

If max power only is ones approach. That’s fine. But that’s not the HOF model. Those guys racked up the hits and hit HRs but were really sought after in leveraged counts and situations etc. Those were just perfect swings in perfect situations. I want line drives within a big zone to hit in. I don’t want to sacrifice anything for anything.

As Yelich says, you swing up or get your barrel on plane early and you cut off your ‘damage’ zone. You limit your adjustability within the pendulum of the barrel. Damage is done out front. Not deep in the zone.

Strike the ball correctly- Yelich

I'm a little more then half way through Carew's book and read most of the approach and haven't seen what I thought he said about using the hands. Perhaps he says it in his video. I'll watch the video tomorrow and see if he says it on video.

I did notice one thing about hitting in his book. He refers often to a 90 mph fastball as being fast. Today we refer to the 100 mph fastball as being fast.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22