DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Why stride?
Why forward momentum?
Why coil?
Why forward yet back?
Why turn the barrel?
Just plane your hands. Any plane will do. Just draw a straight line and launch the hands.
A to B.
Adjustability built in.
Conserve energy
Force production
Bat speed is over rated.
Time to contact.
Be quick.
Acceleration is everything, not speed.
No front arm, no rear arm, no legs.
All hands all the time!
No physics. That's science and girls aren't good at science.
Hitting is magic. Intent is important. Just try harder. But not too hard.
After all..... Work = Wins
And don't forget to work on your speed to first.
Because what I just described is a bunt.
Lol!

I understand your skepticism. You don’t know what the hands are capable of or how they play in the mlb sequence. But many sluggers and batting champs swear by their hands. Of course too much of anything is bad. Law of diminishing returns. Here’s the best player in baseball telling you he uses his hands.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW,

I can't find the spot where he talks about the hands. If I remember he said you want to keep the body quiet and use the hands at 100%. I'll read the book and get back to exactly what he says.

I do agree with body being at 80% effort and the hands at 100% theory. That's the energy flow bigger muscles transferring their energy into the arms/hands. And like focusing on the hands to much can create issues, over swinging with the body can create issues.

I like the 80/20 thought.

I look at it like this. The rotation needs to be balanced to stay ‘straight’, the hands do the rest.

Jul 29, 2013
I understand your skepticism. You don’t know what the hands are capable of or how they play in the mlb sequence. But many sluggers and batting champs swear by their hands. Of course too much of anything is bad. Law of diminishing returns. Here’s the best player in baseball telling you he uses his hands.

Best player in baseball telling us what he does to his hands.
He uses a simplistic understanding of motion. He thinks his hands move when in reality, his body moves his hands.
What you don't understand is the kinematics of rotational motion and the relationships among rotation angle, angular velocity, angular acceleration, and time.
But I'll throw this at you to chew on.....
You often refer to acceleration. A key component of acceleration is time. The more time something accelerates, the more the final speed.
So why have a short swing?
Acceleration requires force. if someone can only generate x amount of force then time is the only way to maximize output. Work = force x time.

Acceleration is constant in a rotational frame. Not constant velocity, constant change in velocity. Who wouldn't want constant acceleration of the barrel? The effort multiplies exponentially.

If I accelerate my bat early and all my effort is spent, how does inertia affect the bat speed after I stop exerting force? (Hint: objects in motion stay in motion unless acted on by a force)

And then there this: my dd routinely swings a 34 drop 8 end load bat upwards of 80mph. Maxes out at 95. Do you think that's efficient force production and transfer?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Best player in baseball telling us what he does to his hands.
He uses a simplistic understanding of motion. He thinks his hands move when in reality, his body moves his hands.
What you don't understand is the kinematics of rotational motion and the relationships among rotation angle, angular velocity, angular acceleration, and time.
But I'll throw this at you to chew on.....
You often refer to acceleration. A key component of acceleration is time. The more time something accelerates, the more the final speed.
So why have a short swing?

Acceleration requires force. if someone can only generate x amount of force then time is the only way to maximize output. Work = force x time.

Acceleration is constant in a rotational frame. Not constant velocity, constant change in velocity. Who wouldn't want constant acceleration of the barrel? The effort multiplies exponentially.

If I accelerate my bat early and all my effort is spent, how does inertia affect the bat speed after I stop exerting force? (Hint: objects in motion stay in motion unless acted on by a force)

And then there this: my dd routinely swings a 34 drop 8 end load bat upwards of 80mph. Maxes out at 95. Do you think that's efficient force production and transfer?

Exactly ! Just how much time do you think you have up there to accelerate ? Force in small windows is the equation. Not max force. Why do you think you are seeing max strike outs from this approach. But I think you said ‘swing for the fences every time’ , and that’s fine. But it doesn’t match what the best do. These are my goal posts.

That takes longer to get to max speed. Anyone can swing harder or faster. That doesn’t make it is efficient. The higher up you go, the harder that approach is.

You know your DD swings it faster than mlb guys? Law of diminishing returns? Or does your dd have a better swing than the pros? As long as the pitching is average to mediocre that approach plays.

Did you hear Barry Bonds in that video ? It’s about being short, don’t breakdown the problem.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
WW,

Yes Carew's approach is different then the .220 20-40 hrs guys you see in today's game.

Carew was a surgeon with the bat. He wanted to win his battle with the pitcher everytime up. HOFer. Do the least and live the longest comes to mind.

If max power only is ones approach. That’s fine. But that’s not the HOF model. Those guys racked up the hits and hit HRs but were really sought after in leveraged counts and situations etc. Those were just perfect swings in perfect situations. I want line drives within a big zone to hit in. I don’t want to sacrifice anything for anything.

As Yelich says, you swing up or get your barrel on plane early and you cut off your ‘damage’ zone. You limit your adjustability within the pendulum of the barrel. Damage is done out front. Not deep in the zone.

Strike the ball correctly- Yelich

Nov 16, 2017
Pitching changes have changed batting. A starter used to pitch 7 innings. Now they sometimes don't even get 5 in. Relievers pitch about 1 inning and sometimes just a couple of batters. The reason they are playing less innings is because they are throwing harder, way harder. Throwing harder gets more strikeouts. Due to the higher strikeouts players have to really cash in when they do hit. What good is hitting a single and nobody can get you home. Batters and coaches know that they need to do damage. In the old days players used to have different swings. A homerun swing and contact swing. Their 2 strike swing was different. You don't see that anymore and it is not because of "launch angle". It is because pitching changes have changed the game and batters have responded.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Pitching changes have changed batting. A starter used to pitch 7 innings. Now they sometimes don't even get 5 in. Relievers pitch about 1 inning and sometimes just a couple of batters. The reason they are playing less innings is because they are throwing harder, way harder. Throwing harder gets more strikeouts. Due to the higher strikeouts players have to really cash in when they do hit. What good is hitting a single and nobody can get you home. Batters and coaches know that they need to do damage. In the old days players used to have different swings. A homerun swing and contact swing. Their 2 strike swing was different. You don't see that anymore and it is not because of "launch angle". It is because pitching changes have changed the game and batters have responded.

No. Guys bought into JDs interview a few years back. ‘Sell out for barrels.’ Didn’t you hear Miggy say ‘ I tried it’ ‘struck out a lot’.
That sell out swing isn’t HOfer stuff.

Didn’t you listen to the Yelich video? It doesn’t work. Braun was quoted as saying the same. He was working on LA and quickly went back to swinging down after a slow April.

LA is the new PEDs. Guys are just trying to get paid. It’s not that they can’t hit the classic way. They sacrifice adjustability for a chance at the big contract. Can’t blame them. But it’s incorrect. JD said it’s a flat bat through the zone that gets the ball in the air.

If you want to cap your ceiling by all means try to uppercut the ball. The pros stay through so they can elevate. They don’t swing up. Damage out front.

Encore presentation:

Nov 16, 2017
No. Guys bought into JDs interview a few years back. ‘Sell out for barrels.’ Didn’t you hear Miggy say ‘ I tried it’ ‘struck out a lot’.
That sell out swing isn’t HOfer stuff.

Didn’t you listen to the Yelich video? It doesn’t work. Braun was quoted as saying the same. He was working on LA and quickly went back to swinging down after a slow April.

LA is the new PEDs. Guys are just trying to get paid. It’s not that they can’t hit the classic way. They sacrifice adjustability for a chance at the big contract. Can’t blame them. But it’s incorrect. JD said it’s a flat bat through the zone that gets the ball in the air.

If you want to cap your ceiling by all means try to uppercut the ball. The pros stay through so they can elevate. They don’t swing up. Damage out front.

Encore presentation:

First of all, The term launch angle is stupid and only stupid people keep using it as a term to describe a swing. A ground ball, a bunt, has a launch angle. It can be negative. Every hit has a launch angle. Attack angle is the correct term and it should be around 10 degrees. Otherwise known as slightly up. Slightly up is not something you generate, it is a natural outcome of the correct bat path.

WE SHOULD TEACH CORRECT BAT PATH PERIOD.

Sure swing down is a proper feel, but it needs to be swing down FROM BEHIND. Like hitting a golf ball. The feeling of swinging down is real but is needs to be applied correctly, not the chop chop ARod is showing. NOONE with any credibility is teaching an uppercut swing. That labeling by the old school chop the ball ARod type instructors is a classic massive exaggeration used to try to discredit the fact the homeruns and extra base hits are hit by bats the are moving slightly up. Sure you can swing down, but the bat path is circular so eventually the bat will come up. Imagine that!! As if the two concepts are mutually exclusive. Yes you can swing down and hit the ball up. Crazy right?

Who would you take W=w? A guy who hits .315 with 8HRs or a guy who hits .265 with 40HRs and a bunch more doubles and triples. Old school thought was batting average is tops, but due to the way pitching has changed give me the .265 guy everytime. The math will tell you the .265 guy is more valuable.

So the beginning of the swing is down and if you are thinking swing up from the beginning a lot of bad things will happen. No one is disputing that. It is also ignorant to leave it at that. It has to be down, but down the right way. And if you really understand you will teach them by swinging down the right way it will end up hitting the ball slightly up.

To conclude, the butt hurt ARod as it seems on every single video he is in keeps talking "launch angle this, and that" shows how woefully ignorant he is and all the people that think that way. They just want to be haters, uneducated haters that are so closed minded that they can't even tolerate a different view point. Actual smart people don't do this. They know their oppositions points sometimes better than their opposition. Keep your friend close and your enemies closer. I fully understand the ARod viewpoint. He is teaching a feel. And feel is a very real and important part of hitting. But he is either blind or stupid when watching films of even himself that completely contradict what he says. Feel vs Real is REAL. It is a shame a lot of people are inexplicably not able to grasp it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28