DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Guess there goes that huh RH? LOL.

In all seriousness JD needs to take out the slack more than others. Tewks has talked about this. His approach to ‘stretch’ is not and should not be everyone’s approach to stretch. But JDs ‘hands’ are all Tewks. Dead hands is not what HOFers do. I’ll leave it at that.

And for me, that’s the only pattern(s) I care to explore or advocate for. TEHO.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Rolling Hard,

If you watch the clips you posted of Josh Donaldson you will see it's the hips/lower body opening that turns the foot open. It's not just the foot per say that is opening. It's how Mike Epstein explains the swing, lowerbody opening while the upperbody stays back/closed, winding the rubber band. It's not the foot opening itself.
His feel is that he is landing open. LOL Of course it the lower body doing the opening.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
His feel is that he is landing open. LOL Of course it the lower body doing the opening.

You could feel your landing open all you want, as long as your rotating into footplant. Otherwise your just creating a false feeling of rotating as the foot opens up. If you told 10 kids to open their front foot, they would probably do just that, open their front foot.

Jul 29, 2013
WW's daughter has a good sequence (balanced fyb).. She moves out fastball and due to a balanced sequence she's gives up nothing in regards to power on the off-speed..

s23d4MA.gif

Hitters who get into a dynamic leveraged fyb hitting position is paramount to the sequence.

X2JfzWR.gif
She's going to have knee problem with the way she torques against that closed front leg. Just sayin'.

Jul 29, 2013
You could feel your landing open all you want, as long as your rotating into footplant. Otherwise your just creating a false feeling of rotating as the foot opens up. If you told 10 kids to open their front foot, they would probably do just that, open their front foot.
The difference is externally rotating the closed chain back hip so the pelvis turns vs. externally rotating the open chain front hip that turns the front leg. I tell the kids to turn and walk away toward pitcher.

Jul 29, 2013
She hit in the 4 hole last year. She didn’t swing for the fences. She has efficient force production. She doesn’t need to swing hard. The mechanics should work for you. Not you work the mechanics. Ever heard a pro say ‘ I don’t have to do too much’, that’s the feeling of having good force production. Watch the pros. They don’t swing very hard. But they are very quick and efficient.

Bobby,

It’s a known fact that once the barrel is below your hands it better be at the ball or you are losing the pendulum and all the momentum and force of your swing. You don’t need a sensor for that.
Once again you prove you don't understand. This time, it's rotational physics. The bat isn't a pendulum relying on gravity. It doesn't slow because it bottoms out.
As for the pros not trying hard. Have you ever watched the home run derby? 14-15 homers in, they're getting gassed. By the third round they're exhausted. But again, you don't understand.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Since we have gotten a bit off topic, to the OP (if he is still paying attention after all of the OT stuff ;) ), I would work on going oppo both off the tee and in front toss. If she can consistently hit hard line drives over the F4's head that would be a good start.
That means she's going to have to get the bat on plane deep.

Jun 8, 2016
That means she's going to have to get the bat on plane deep.
I agree with you on the importance of early bat speed. Not sure why you assumed I didn't. @Work=wins and I have discussed(ok argued :LOL:) this before. I just feel that the hands/wrists/forearms are part of doing that.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Once again you prove you don't understand. This time, it's rotational physics. The bat isn't a pendulum relying on gravity. It doesn't slow because it bottoms out.
As for the pros not trying hard. Have you ever watched the home run derby? 14-15 homers in, they're getting gassed. By the third round there exhausted. But again, you don't understand.

The point of the pendulum is once the barrel gets below the hands you can’t get it back. No one gets the bat on plane early. They get the hands on plane early. And keep the barrel out plane until they release or launch their swing. When you say stuff like this, people stop listening. Just sayin. You are not making sense.

Are you really comparing the HR derby to a game? Do you think the intent is the same? You do know there is a clock right? They are trying to hit as many HRs as they can in a time window right? Would that make you tired? LOL dude. Do you think that every pro is swinging for HRs in the game? Have you not heard pros say they don’t want to ‘MESS UP’ their swings in the HR derby???Once again, when you say stuff like this you are not making sense. Just sayin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12