DD's opening front shoulder.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
But it’s about being able to recognize pitches early enough
So you agree that being able to recognizing pitch loation/speed is good. Would you be able to better recognize pitches if you could wait a little longer to decide to swing? If yes, given that the time the ball takes to the plate is fixed, a person who has a better time to contact, e.g. the amount of time from launch(or decision to swing perhaps) to contact, would be able to better recognize a pitch, yes? Now, for the 115th time, time to contact is a function of bat speed throughout the complete barrel path, not just at contact. Hence early bat speed gives one an advantage in that they will be able to better recognize a pitch location/speed before deciding to swing (not move out, actually swing the bat).

I am also not buying the idea that early batspeed hinders any small (imo) adjustments which may need to be made after launch since I know you will come back with that.

Ok I am done now, going to do some actual work and then go to the gym :)

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
3FP2Ggi.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So you agree that being able to recognizing pitch loation/speed is good. Would you be able to better recognize pitches if you could wait a little longer to decide to swing? If yes, given that the time the ball takes to the plate is fixed, a person who has a better time to contact, e.g. the amount of time from launch(or decision to swing perhaps) to contact, would be able to better recognize a pitch, yes? Now, for the 115th time, time to contact is a function of bat speed throughout the complete barrel path, not just at contact. Hence early bat speed gives one an advantage in that they will be able to better recognize a pitch location/speed before deciding to swing (not move out, actually swing the bat).

I am also not buying the idea that early batspeed hinders any small (imo) adjustments which may need to be made after launch since I know you will come back with that.

Ok I am done now, going to do some actual work and then go to the gym :)

Perfect TDS! Clutch gif! P look when rendon decides ‘NO’ . Think of a whip suspended in air at that point.. if you want the pitch you accel and decel the handle.,think how long that takes. Basically the crack of a 33in whip. Now think about AJ or JD with the bat behind them creating a TON of force but at ‘GO’ who is winning that race? Rendon or the carnival brothers? And whose commiting sooner?

Side bar: now think about an off speed

Jun 8, 2016
Perfect TDS! Clutch gif! P look when rendon decides ‘NO’ . Think of a whip suspended in air at that point.. if you want the pitch you accel and decel the handle.,think how long that takes. Basically the crack of a 33in whip. Now think about AJ or JD with the bat behind them creating a TON of force but at ‘GO’ who is winning that race? Rendon or the carnival brothers? And whose commiting sooner?

Side bar: now think about an off speed
Looks like a hitter with early bat speed who made an adjustment after launch..and you said it couldn't be done. Clutch for sure!! ;)
The timing of a hitter's launch is predicated upon their read of when the pitch is going to cross the plate and the direction is predicated upon where they predict the ball is going to cross the plate. They don't just aimlessly launch (or start the bat moving since I don't think you call that launch..whatever) and then attempt to find direction and timing as the swing progresses. Sure if they make a less than perfect pitch read some adjustments are made, like checking in this case.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Looks like a hitter with early bat speed who made an adjustment after launch..and you said it couldn't be done. Clutch for sure!! ;)
The timing of a hitter's launch is predicated upon their read of when the pitch is going to cross the plate and the direction is predicated upon where they predict the ball is going to cross the plate. They don't just aimlessly launch (or start the bat moving since I don't think you call that launch..whatever) and then attempt to find direction and timing as the swing progresses. Sure if they make a less than perfect pitch read some adjustments are made, like checking in this case.

LOL. That’s would be a running start P. The start to the whip or the pulling back of the whip is the tip of the bat.

The term ‘early’ bat speed is reserved for the carousel and Ferris wheels pathers. BECAUSE that’s exactly what they are doing... the bat is already en route to the ball via early release/committment and a longer BUT FASTER barrel, which loses the race to contact, because of the longer arc behind or around to get to the ball.

It’s early acceleration that Rendon is showing us via the whip affect. The bat speed part is when the bat is actually en route to the ball( just like the other model). Right ??? 😀

Jun 8, 2016
The term ‘early’ bat speed is reserved for the carousel and Ferris wheels pathers.
Says you, early bat speed to me means they are attempting to accelerate the barrel as early as possible since, well that is those 3 words actually mean early (early in the actual swing e.g. right after launch) bat (we know what means) speed (ditto). Also for the 100th time, a longer path DOES NOT MEAN IT TAKES MORE TIME.. ;)

Ok I am done for now. Taking Marcela to hit and then she has basketball practice.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Says you, early bat speed to me means they are attempting to accelerate the barrel as early as possible since, well that is those 3 words actually mean early (early in the actual swing e.g. right after launch) bat (we know what means) speed (ditto)

If we are breaking it down in the physical sense. It would be ‘bat’ speed is when the bat is accelerating. That’s launch or commitment right? That would not be what Rendon is doing. He is holding back the barrel out of plane to build the speed of the bat through ‘angular momentum’ correct? When the barrel gets released would be the bat speed part right? Because the ‘bat’ is actually accelerating right?

So at least we got this far; you have admitted that ‘early’ bat speed takes longer in space. But I will admit creates more force. So the question I pose to you is do you want to create the most speed and be able to hit the ball the hardest or create less speed and hit the ball hard more often? Remember the mlb average in game bat speed is a very attainable 69 mph.

I think this should be the new equation based on our new found understanding of the pros and cons of early and ‘into’ bat speed. What do you think?

Side note: It really makes sense why AJ won the HR derby with ease doesn’t it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood