DD's new team won their first tournament - until they didn't

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
DD1 played a small fall ball tournament this weekend and her team made it to the championship game this weekend. They were the visiting team and had a small lead the whole game. After a number of innings after their at bat the umpire announces time has expired and it will be the home team's last at bat. They need two runs to tie and they only get one. Game over, we win. The umps leave, the teams shake hands, say their thank yous to those watching and DD's coach calls all the girls to meet in the outfield for a moment as parents start to pack up and get phones and cameras out to take pictures. Suddenly there's a bunch of yelling from the opposition side of the field. "The game's not over! Get back on the field!" The opposing team runs out to take the field and starts yelling at our players, who are circled around their coach, that the game isn't over. There's a lot of befuddled looks from our players and coaches. The umps come back and talk to our coaches and say they had the clock wrong. Pool play was 1:15, but today is supposed to be an 1:30 so they need to complete the game. Our team leaves their meeting and get their helmets on and go up to bat. We score one run, but end up allowing three and lose the game in the second final inning.

It's a new way to lose a game. Hadn't seen that one before.

May 1, 2018
Yeah that just sucks. Time for a lesson in sportsmanship with the girls. Cause that what it would take to have a smile on my face afterwards.

Aug 11, 2016
Something similar happened to our team during a Summer tournament this year, not on the championship game though, it was a pool game. The umps called the game, our team was ahead. The coaches and girls had their meeting and already packed and already walking out, when all the sudden the umps tried to get the team back in the field to finish the game because they realized there were about 10 minutes left on the clock when the opposing team protested (which they protested late BTW). Our coaches said to the umps, you called the game and the game is over... by the time they unpack, it was going to take more than 10 minutes anyway. The opposing team wanted it scored as a forfeit, but after some back and forth the tournament director deemed this an ump mistake and our team ended up with the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Something similar happened to our team during a Summer tournament this year, not on the championship game though, it was a pool game. The umps called the game, our team was ahead. The coaches and girls had their meeting and already packed and already walking out, when all the sudden the umps tried to get the team back in the field to finish the game because they realized there were about 10 minutes left on the clock when the opposing team protested (which they protested late BTW). Our coaches said to the umps, you called the game and the game is over... by the time they unpack, it was going to take more than 10 minutes anyway. The opposing team wanted it scored as a forfeit, but after some back and forth the tournament director deemed this an ump mistake and our team ended up with the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the way yours ended better!

In our game a case can be made that if the other team wanted to protest they should have done it originally when the umpire had declared time had expired and they were at their last at bat.

Apr 28, 2014
That stinks..
Our coach religiously asks the umps the game time before every game. At times it's amusing but he's been burned once like you guys :(

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD1 played a small fall ball tournament this weekend and her team made it to the championship game this weekend. They were the visiting team and had a small lead the whole game. After a number of innings after their at bat the umpire announces time has expired and it will be the home team's last at bat. They need two runs to tie and they only get one. Game over, we win. The umps leave, the teams shake hands, say their thank yous to those watching and DD's coach calls all the girls to meet in the outfield for a moment as parents start to pack up and get phones and cameras out to take pictures. Suddenly there's a bunch of yelling from the opposition side of the field. "The game's not over! Get back on the field!" The opposing team runs out to take the field and starts yelling at our players, who are circled around their coach, that the game isn't over. There's a lot of befuddled looks from our players and coaches. The umps come back and talk to our coaches and say they had the clock wrong. Pool play was 1:15, but today is supposed to be an 1:30 so they need to complete the game. Our team leaves their meeting and get their helmets on and go up to bat. We score one run, but end up allowing three and lose the game in the second final inning.

It's a new way to lose a game. Hadn't seen that one before.

I have to assume this wasn't the only game the umpire worked on Sunday and I have to assume that this wasn't your 1st game of the day right? I have to assume that the most of the parents and coaches were looking at their watches during a timed game.

During a HS game last Spring the scoreboard indicated that we were run ruled and the game was over. I was doing game changer and asked the student in the dugout what score she had as I could not reconcile that extra run. I asked the other team's score keeper what score she had too. We all agreed that the game was NOT over. All the parents packed up and the umps were hanging out by the cars. We got everyone on field and got the 2nd out. Runner on 3B then scored on the next pitch...it was a WILD one!!! Literally! Ha.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Once the umpires call the end of the game and leave the field, the game is over. Period.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Once the umpires call the end of the game and leave the field, the game is over. Period.

Nothing in any rule book supports this.

Would this hold true if the umpires decided at the end of the second inning that the game was over, declared such, and walked off the field?

Feb 17, 2014
That sucks....

We lost our last game of the season last year when our 1B was ejected because the umps deemed a tag was too aggressive. We come up the next inning, down 2, 2 outs, bases loaded and the 1B spot is on deck. Intentional walk into the 3rd out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802