DD's new team won their first tournament - until they didn't

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Nothing in any rule book supports this.

Would this hold true if the umpires decided at the end of the second inning that the game was over, declared such, and walked off the field?

What would the correct call be then? Doesn't one of the coaches have to protest before the umpires leave the field? When I've been through local umpire training, I've been told to get off the field as soon as possible, because once I leave the field, no protests are allowed.

At 2018 Nor Cal Metros 10u-B championship game the game was declared over, coaches didn't protest, 1st and 2nd place trophies awarded, then while parents were taking pictures, parent on 2nd place team realized something like for the championship game, it was 6 or 7 innings unless run ruled, not the complete the inning and play one more inning after 80 minutes rule. Nor Cal staff huddled and made a couple phone calls. Finally decided after 40 minutes to let the decision stand.

In that case, a couple players on the wining team had already left the complex after getting their trophies before the late protest by the parent was done. Would the game been re-started without those players? Would the game been re-scheduled to finish on another day? What if those players couldn't have been gotten hold of to return for that game? The complex field crew had already taken down the outfield fence. Would the fence had to been put back up before the game continued?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
My point was to address this statement:

"Once the umpires call the end of the game and leave the field, the game is over. Period."

There is nothing magical or supported by rule to allow the Umpire's call of "Ball Game" to end the game. The game ends after 7 innings (or more if needed), or run ahead rule, or time limit elapses.

In both the OP and the specific case at Nor-Cal, the umpires erred by ending the game and the respective decisions were made on how to handle the screw-up.

Jun 29, 2013
My point was to address this statement:

"Once the umpires call the end of the game and leave the field, the game is over. Period."

There is nothing magical or supported by rule to allow the Umpire's call of "Ball Game" to end the game. The game ends after 7 innings (or more if needed), or run ahead rule, or time limit elapses.

In both the OP and the specific case at Nor-Cal, the umpires erred by ending the game and the respective decisions were made on how to handle the screw-up.

This isn't covered anywhere? Wow, that is surprising.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Nothing in any rule book supports this.

Would this hold true if the umpires decided at the end of the second inning that the game was over, declared such, and walked off the field?

Lol...try ASA Rule 9, Section 1:

Protest of the misinterpretation of a playing rule - must be made:

1. Before the next pitch...
2. Before the next play...
3. Before all infielders have left fair territory...
4. On the last play of the game, before the umpires leave live ball territory

Or, how about USSSA Rule 13, Section 4...

Rule interpretation protests must be declared to the Plate Umpire before the
next pitch following the dispute. No rule interpretation protest will be allowed
once the Umpires have left the field at the end of the game. In tournament play,
all rule interpretations protests must be settled, before any play can be resumed.

Timed play is a local rule, but it is a rule. If the umpires have the time wrong, it's the responsibility of the coaches to tell them prior to the game being called and everyone leaving. I don't know how many times I've corrected an umpire's understanding of a tournament-specific rule set either before or during a game. I've also had umpires try to call a game early, and I immediately engaged them and got them to change course.

Jun 11, 2013
It sucks for the kids to lose that way, but assuming it should have been 90 minutes then it's what the game should have been.

The HC should learn a lesson. You need to know the tournament rules. I have never once played in a championship game that wasn't at
least 90 minutes if not 100 minutes on some ASA events. We've had times when we were short on pitching and it would have given us a better
shot if it was only 75 minutes, but if we thought the ump was wrong at the game start we would always address it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse