DD's confidence is at an all time low

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2016
Typically uncertainty & unpreparedness is the reasons for a lack of confidence. First get her mind focused on execution and off of results. (Focus on the process). Win and losing don't matter and will take care of itself. 2nd how much has she been practicing and have you had her practice in game like situations? Chance favors those who prepare. If you are stuck in a situation where she has to pitch then be extremely positive and take a no pressure approach. Focus on detail such as have her throw only her top 2 pitches and hitting the locations she is comfortable. As the game goes on and she is hitting her spots with those pitches then move into those areas. Have a go to phrase for her for when her mind gets off of execution and starts thinking about results. Example: You the number 5 to her which is a signal to her to say to herself something like, "Keep pounding" or "just own the next pitch". Something that keeps her in the moment and off the scoreboard and thinking about what has happened or is going to happen. Keeping them focused on the next pitch and ONLY the next pitch is the key and toughest job you will have." You can use this with hitting or pitching. With hitting keep it really loose. Remind her that she is not going up there to hit but to dance. Keep it fun and loose in both practice and game. When she is at the plate have her sing to herself and stop thinking. The thinking stops when she leaves the on deck circle and moves toward the plate. Remember she is a freshman and very young.
As a coach you help her to herself. Good luck with it. Improvement is the key not winning.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I was just taking a stroll down memory lane and came across this. While she came out of the situation well, it was only this past January that i actually learned what the real source of her anxiety was- stats! She had a phenomenal start to the season that year and subsequently developed an obsession with maintaining her stats, which resulted in a cycle of stress.

It was this past January when I heard Steve Springer speak about stats being the devil and needing to avoid them. After it sunk in, i realized that she gets obsessed with stats and that is what causes her to stress out/beat up on herself! Springer has some good thoughts on how to become a better ballplayer, i highly recommend him!

With hitting keep it really loose. Remind her that she is not going up there to hit but to dance. Keep it fun and loose in both practice and game. When she is at the plate have her sing to herself and stop thinking. The thinking stops when she leaves the on deck circle and moves toward the plate.

This and what you said about pitching is some good stuff, right here!

Jun 8, 2016
I was just taking a stroll down memory lane and came across this. While she came out of the situation well, it was only this past January that i actually learned what the real source of her anxiety was- stats! She had a phenomenal start to the season that year and subsequently developed an obsession with maintaining her stats, which resulted in a cycle of stress.

I am glad she is in a better place. In relation to the above quoted comment, I never saw a single batting statistic of mine until I played varsity in HS and even then it wasn't till after the season that they were given to us.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
The coach would track stats for the first half of the season and then announce them to everyone (or at least the good ones) then the 2nd half of the season was more of a struggle for DD. A freshman batting mid-.500’s feels a lot of pressure to maintain the resulting expectations. And when she finishes the season in the mid-.400’s, knows its respectable but “knows” she failed to maintain the level that had become expected of her.

Anyhow, she knows better now and i hope shes able to keep the “Springerisms” in the forefront of her mind.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
obbay - I just want you to know that I always appreciated your posts and the things you & your DD were working on...they have helped me and my DD's greatly over the years. Thank you and again, please know that you are in my prayers.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
obbay - I just want you to know that I always appreciated your posts and the things you & your DD were working on...they have helped me and my DD's greatly over the years. Thank you and again, please know that you are in my prayers.

I second this post from Tatonka. I went back today and looked at several posts from Obbay over the years in his DD's honor. I wish there was something I could do but there is not. Just know Obbay that you and your DD brought a ton to the DFP Family and we will always be here for you.

S3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802