DD wants the awards, but doesn’t want to work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
DD played both soccer and softball in HS. She received her fair share of softball awards over the 4 years, the team was stacked the last 2 years so there were definitely people (including DD) who could have received awards but didn’t.
The soccer team on the other hand didn’t win much and only made playoffs once in DD’s 4 years. At her final banquet the coach gave her annual “Bleed green” award. She gave a little speech about the player who earned it that year and everyone including the recipient thought the coach was talking about DD. Afterwards the girl who got the award walked over to DD and said “I didn’t earn this, you did” which was nice to hear.

Jul 16, 2018
After being around this game for a while I am overwhelmingly convinced that the kids at 9-10-11 who struggled just to keep thier head above water but didn't quit learned the important lessons needed to stay in the game at 18U. Seen many examples of kids at 10-11 who were studs. Faster, stronger and just better than their peers, however they never pushed to get better and eventually got passed. I don't think parents can do much to push a kid to work. I think that work ethic is a learned trait and it's learned early in the game.

Wow - just read this and I think its spot on.

My DD is definitely on the athletic side and has gotten by with that alone. However she never learned how to "play" After taking a year off (at 11) she is still more gifted athletically than alot of players however, you can definitely see where the gap has closed due to certain fundamentals she was never taught (by me or a coaching staff)

Shes with a damn fine coach now so all she has to do is work hard. And while this is a humble brag about my daughter - I only use it as example to enforce yours. You're absolutely spot on.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't think parents can do much to push a kid to work. I think that work ethic is a learned trait and it's learned early in the game.
Work ethic can be learned through positive examples from others around them, including their parents. Pushing has a negative connotation associated with it, e.g. when a parent tells a kid they have to practice when the kid doesn't want to. However a parent can instill the idea of hard work in a child by always being available and sometimes even suggesting that they go practice. If a kid doesn't want to you can usually tell regardless of what their answer is to your suggestion. In that case you let it be and try again some other time. At the end of the day the game should be fun. But one thing kids need to understand sometimes is that the game is typically much more enjoyable when you are good ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478