DD video - looking for advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
she was way more successful before she went to the pitching coach ( it was frustrating for her trying to throw in what seemed unatural to her.

HE coached students have success DESPITE the coaching they receive, not because of it. Most HE coaches couldn't recognize IR under the hood if you pointed it out to them. All they care about it the pointed elbow. If the pitcher does that and throws with IR, most will think she is doing exactly what they are instructing.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
She’s actually toes out just a tad when she walks so you are probably right that it’s just her build. Her drive mechanics is an area she’s been really trying to improve on. She was struggling with front side resistance but after shortening her stride length, she’s improving a lot on that. The pitching coach she saw briefly was all over her for her release and arm circle ( he wanted Hello Elbow) and when she tried to adjust to that it seemed to cause a chain reaction in her whole motion. We quit him, let her take a little break from pitching and now she’s back to work how she has always thrown. Just from reading through this board, watching videos etc I think she throws I/ R naturally pretty well ( although I’m far from an expert but just by looking at her arm in slo mo) and that’s why she was way more successful before she went to the pitching coach ( it was frustrating for her trying to throw in what seemed unatural to her.

Yes, what others said, do not try and change drive foot turnout! IMO, it is a good thing and not something to try and "straighten up". I can point to endless "best of the best" who do it and it is more than natural and shouldn't be messed with. Some promote the prison foot blocks which is a mistake IMO.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
A couple things......
1. Look at her hand finish, this is good! Don't focus your time on IR in my opinion....IR looks good and natural so don't screw that up.

2. Drive, probably the thing that screws most up IMO. Read drive mechanics which is awesome but downside is there are so many things in that thread that make it seem so difficult. It is all pretty darn good and Java was a rockstar with that thread and I will always back him up on what he has said. However, it can seem like alot and has the potential to take you in many directions.

2A. Looking back (just speaking for my experience over the many years I have been here) I have probably made things harder than I should have. I digested Drive Mechanics a million times and tried to change everything listed in that thread when I couldn't see the forest thru the trees. I stopped at every tree with DD1 and looking back I have been trying to figure out a way to make it more simple for DD2 and others.

2B. So where I landed and has worked very well for us is this........NEVER pitch without a rubber (especially as your DD is learning). Learn how to use the rubber! It is everything IMO and if you don't use it it will only promote negative results. Why? the #1 takeaway for me from Java and Drive Mechanics is to push back into or against the rubber in a sprinters position. Without looking at the thread I believe he calls it "pawing" the rubber. Get into a sprinters position and push back into the rubber to take off or start your drive. In order to do this you have to have the body leaning forward like a sprinter.

3. Much more to say about this but without the rubber and without pushing against it (not pivoting on it) you may not reach the results you could. Simply think, I am a sprinting before I throw the pitch. Yes, easy to say, but how is it done... Again, much more to say on it but that is where I would focus my time if I were you. Get a mat with a rubber and don't pitch without it.

S3

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018
Indiana
Thank you. We have a rubber set up out side with a backstop she throws into but due to this time of year in Indiana we moved inside (storage room in the basement). I will definitely look into purchasing a mat w/ rubber for inside.

Oct 15, 2018
Indiana
DNeeld…. I'd say you are right about that ( at least from our 1 & only experience). She liked him, but he would just get all over her about her arm rotation & finish. He wanted her to rotate her arm to push down (as she reached top of circle and started the downswing) then finish elbow up - whereas she pulls down w/her elbow then just lets her arm go naturally after release. We'd watch videos of college pitchers and I can't recall seeing even one who would finish the way he was asking - they almost always looked more that she does at release so that's why we decided to walk away.

Apr 12, 2015
Check this video for a perfect illustration:

The girl throws with 100% IR mechanics, but as long as she points her elbow at the end, the coach thinks she is throwing with HE mechanics. In other words, the coach has zero idea how the pitch should be delivered. This girl is succeeding DESPITE the coach.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
To [MENTION=16891]hillside[/MENTION]:

She has almost zero leg drive. She needs to work on her drive mechanics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802