DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's a good practice IMO... but when you have quite a few of best hitters in the world saying/practicing the same thing, that data becomes more convincing. Should you follow them blindly, no, (next comment not directed at you), but maybe need to be more open minded/understanding instead of trying to poke holes

When what you hear them saying doesn't match up with what you see them doing, how do you resolve it? Do you teach a hitter to move in a way that matches their words, but doesn't match their actions? That doesn't make much sense to me.

"Maddie, I want you to swing down to the ball." (ARod said so!)
Maddie chops down through contact.
"No. Your barrel needs to turn deep and come up to contact...but still swing down at the ball."

Good luck with that.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
When what you hear them saying doesn't match up with what you see them doing, how do you resolve it? Do you teach a hitter to move in a way that matches their words, but doesn't match their actions? That doesn't make much sense to me.

"No. Your barrel needs to turn deep and come up to contact...but still swing down at the ball."

Good luck with that.

Sorry Eric, but the feeling most of these guys have is whipping the barrel down. Now if you combine that with the dynamic movements of the body during the swing its not as far off as you think...

jzIoqVr.gif

I do think there are a few that focus on turning the barrel but not many. This guy (
Miguel Sano ) IMO does for sure.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Sorry Eric, but the feeling most of these guys have is whipping the barrel down. Now if you combine that with the dynamic movements of the body during the swing its not as far off as you think...

jzIoqVr.gif

I do think there are a few that focus on turning the barrel but not many. This guy (
Miguel Sano ) IMO does for sure.

I will continue to teach young players that the goal is to match what we see the best doing in games, and give the best instructions I'm able to give to get them there. Asking them to do what ARod is saying and demonstrating on the right is not included. If you somehow get good results from teaching that. good for you.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I will continue to teach young players that the goal is to match what we see the best doing in games, and give the best instructions I'm able to give to get them there. Asking them to do what ARod is saying and demonstrating on the right is not included. If you somehow get good results from teaching that. good for you.

Eric, do you teach maintaining ulnar to radial deviation during the swing ? Do you see ARod maintaining the ulnar to radial deviation in both swings ? Since 90% + hitters are under the ball on swing & misses does it make sense to fight like hell to avoid supinating the rear forearm ?

5xobqNN.jpg

jzIoqVr.gif

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

Good luck with that.
I understand what you are saying Eric, you are trying to teach what you see, I am trying to understand what they are saying so she can produce the results, not emulate it. I’m not going to dismiss hundreds of years collectively of hall of famer and future all of famer experience, knowledge, etc just because I can’t see/understand initially the desired result.

Either way, looks like Maddie is having success, and that’s the most important thing!

I could say the same thing about A certain persons TTB demos, swing the bat like that Rachel, no you are dumping the barrel... However when understood, we both know thats not what happens

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Aside from all the technical issues in all these swings.. which one would you say she's creating most bat speed and power?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
which one would you say she's creating most bat speed and power
Bat speed and power off of a tee is on thing. Don't forget timing and adjust-ability in a swing is also really important and the goal. There's a lot of 'cage' heroes that can't hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812