DD swing/ thoughts, comments, be nice!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Yes....In context...same concept as far as Kinetic chain...segments reach max velocity and decelerate...next segment increases.

Read Mike Boyle's explanation on jt by jt training/rehab ect. There are a couple other links at the bottom of the page if you want to read them and I will post later.
Mike Boyle Jt by Jt

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Compound-Pendulum_Kinetic-Chain-only-small_zpshcmg7vqi.gif

I like the compound pendulum as a visual of the kinetic chain and 3d graphs show it really well. One segment accelerates...rapid deceleration..next segment speeds up..etc.

In reference to this.." The front shoulder connection is also the final kinetic chain connection (of a mobility joint) ….for the "sling/serape pattern of load" also...from my perspective of the kinetic chain."

The chart on the right is a representation of the jt by jt perspective. Training movement patterns and stability (motor - control) of the mobility joints.

When you work your way up the chain..the front shoulder is the last mobility joint that needs connection (in context)...as the hands are going to be mobile thru-out the swing imo.

The results is the sling pattern for load... represented below.

jt%20by%20jt%20mobility%20stability%20sling%20small_zpsaazrae3b.jpg

Using Romero...this would be sling pattern on her load.
seirra%20romero%20load%20sling_zpstens40ok.jpg

You swing so its probably easy for you to control your body. Do some "GO" drills..TTB drills with the front shoulder connected vs disconnect. Even various levels of disconnect. Totally disconnect the rear shoulder and swing.

What are the compensations?

Years ago...I created some front arm/shoulder winging patterns in a couple of girls when I introduced a certain drill. Then by not paying enough attention to how it was affecting there swing ... I started noticing the pattern in game swings. Had to go back and correct some things. That was on me...lesson learned. Small disconnects can lead to larger compensations.

With what is shown alot in other threads...and videos posted of young kids doing TTB drills...I see alot of TTB with disconnects. Front arm so high you can see under it....winged arm/shoulder....big pulls etc.

To me.. its not the TTB thats the problem...its the disconnects...mostly between the shoulders and the torso.

Almost makes me sound like a TTB top down person but I am most definitely bottom up in teaching the swing. :)

Again..your doing a great job with your DD. Keep up the good work.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Should the lead arm bicep and pectoral angles/relationship stay as contant thruout the swing? Should the bicep actually rest/ connect to the pectoral and stay physically together thruout the swing.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I wouldn't even get that specific with her at first.

Since I am assuming she is pulling the front shoulder off the rib cage....i would do this and see how she responded...an adjust from there.

1. Make sure she understands and practices hand path patterns. They are so easy and can be done...watching tv...before swings etc. She can do a lot of them in a short period of time helping establish that neuromuscular pattern.
Like this
cabrera%20hand%20bat%20path_zps257xhyvx.gif

This is a hand path pattern for a low ball.
Use a tee ball bat...or have her grab her bat at a place she can control it. I have even had them use water bottle...like Wasserman does with throwing.

Teach her that a ball down the middle...the hand path direction is... to the pitcher.
The barrel at extension with palm up....will be pointing more to the second baseman.
Have her understand the momentum of the barrel turn should result in her getting to extension.

2. Have her feel the pattern she is doing...
This should feel familiar with her. Just standing there..no bat necessary...tell her to keep her breast bone facing forward...while she pulls her front shoulder back....feeling the disconnect of shoulder from ribs.

3. Have her feel the pattern you want.
Keeping the shoulder attached...and turning breast bone keeping the connection and shoulder stopping with the breast bone. Tell her that is the feel of what we want with the swing.

4. Find the drill where she can keep this connection, with a good hand path and getting to extension. That may be a dry swing, slower t-tee swing, throw the bat drill, opposite field t drill ect.
Do 5-6 of these.

5. Then try a few front toss with a full swing. Just a few.

If I am working with a specific pattern, I like videoing this part especially if I am doing the front toss. It helps me see it...and them seeing it and going over it with them... helps them.

Repeating process till she has changed the pattern.

With her athleticism...I would suspect she will get it...without getting overly specific.

Hope that helps.