DD Quits

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Might seem strange to some of you that I would post this here... however maybe some other parents are experiencing or will experience what I’ve been through this year. DD made one the best teams here in the region this year, likely to challenge for a national title. She told me right before the season kicked off that she’s no longer happy playing ball and wanted to quit to focus on studies and other activities. I wasn’t very happy with this decision at first but fully supported her. She’s in grade 10 and a wonderful young lady, and mature enough to know what’s best for her. Still as a parent you have your doubts that maybe this would come back and bite her at some point... and I was worried that she would not stay physically active without ball.

Anyway I am posting this here because she has really been pouring it on academically, finished grade 10 with 98% average, including a 99 in math, and 98 in science and she’s in the best shape of her life. I am very proud of her and I am glad I trusted her decision.

Jun 8, 2016
Might seem strange to some of you that I would post this here... however maybe some other parents are experiencing or will experience what I’ve been through this year. DD made one the best teams here in the region this year, likely to challenge for a national title. She told me right before the season kicked off that she’s no longer happy playing ball and wanted to quit to focus on studies and other activities. I wasn’t very happy with this decision at first but fully supported her. She’s in grade 10 and a wonderful young lady, and mature enough to know what’s best for her. Still as a parent you have your doubts that maybe this would come back and bite her at some point... and I was worried that she would not stay physically active without ball.

Anyway I am posting this here because she has really been pouring it on academically, finished grade 10 with 98% average, including a 99 in math, and 98 in science and she’s in the best shape of her life. I am very proud of her and I am glad I trusted her decision.
Her mother must be a intelligent woman :p

Mar 6, 2016
Right there with ya. DD was starting C on JV HS team last year. Varsity was loaded with Seniors. Caught every inning on JV and probably would be backup C this year on Varsity and get sone innings here and there. She stopped playing high level So Cal TB 2 years ago...just got burned out and too stressful for her as a C. Wasn't having fun. But decided to give it another try in HS.

So, as the season last year got cut short by Covid and then the long layoff...she just kind of was "done" playing. No other sports...so, like you, Im worried what she's going to do to fill those hours. Idle time usually leads to bad habits and choices. I was hoping for her to at least experience playing varsity ball for 1 year, but looks like it won't happen.

Sad (for me)...but if her heart isnt in it then I need to support her decision to hang em up. (Ah well...it was a good ride...damn it went by fast.) 😖😭

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
julray, I hope it all goes well for you, your family and dd. With softball even more than with baseball, the end is coming for everyone. There are prices to be paid regardless of whether a player ends "too soon," or "too late." If your dd is healthy, that is a plus.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Thanks for sharing your story! Softball at times seems like the almighty light in front of us. In reality, it only burns as long as the player wants it to. It is a game and thats it. Yes, it can lead to so many things but so can "so many things". Reality is, enjoy it while you have it but know it will end at some point like @Cannonball said above.

I as a Dad have loved the journey with my girls. We will never forget the "game" as the memories mean the world. But the "World" is much bigger and I cherish what the "game" taught" them as they will take what they learned and apply it in the "world".
It's a great ride but it has to end sometime. It hurts us probably more than them but it was the ride that mattered most. Enjoy the memories my friend and we can all be thankful of the times with our girls! We won't forget and pretty sure they won't either!

S3

May 12, 2016
Right there with ya. DD was starting C on JV HS team last year. Varsity was loaded with Seniors. Caught every inning on JV and probably would be backup C this year on Varsity and get sone innings here and there. She stopped playing high level So Cal TB 2 years ago...just got burned out and too stressful for her as a C. Wasn't having fun. But decided to give it another try in HS.

So, as the season last year got cut short by Covid and then the long layoff...she just kind of was "done" playing. No other sports...so, like you, Im worried what she's going to do to fill those hours. Idle time usually leads to bad habits and choices. I was hoping for her to at least experience playing varsity ball for 1 year, but looks like it won't happen.

Sad (for me)...but if her heart isnt in it then I need to support her decision to hang em up. (Ah well...it was a good ride...damn it went by fast.) 😖😭
That’s what I keep saying.. I had two girls playing ball, ones in university and the other is done. Time flies by, we had some awesome experiences, good and heartbreaks. I’m just thankful for the time we did have together. One condition for my DD quitting was that she design a workout program for her self... I explained to her I trust and respect her decision, but it's also my responsibility to ensure she stays healthy and active and she understands that

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802