DD Progression, What's next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What I think I am seeing is lack of gaining ground over the sagittal plane. ?? If that is the case a good drill to remedy?

bingo! She’s into her back hip instead of into the ground and back heel, which can cause reaching and or early barrel ‘turn’. Both are over compensations due to the lack of balance.

tell her to load into the ground while imitating Trout.

A cue I use is ‘let the gather pick up your front foot’. This will get the mass going forward and on top while the front knee gets under the front hip.. the ‘reach’ and early ‘turn’ will disappear.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She's SOOOO rushed (among other things, but get her timing sorted first).. If you aren't giving her time to go through a proper pre-launch sequence, you need to change how you toss so she can start her movement earlier. That said, if she's waiting for the ball to be in the air before she starts, she needs to adjust when she starts.

This is my 15yo DD from HS ball this year...

Pay attention to how she's controlling her move with her rear leg, and it's the swing launch that is causing the weight shift against the front side. Also, in the shots where you can see the pitcher, look how early she is starting her process. This happens on EVERY pitch, well before the ball is in the air. On the last swing, the pitcher was very slow, and she floats for a longer time to adjust. She's not in a rush to get her front foot down, she puts it down at the right time based on the speed of the pitch.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
The slow and controlled movements are difficult to master but imperative. Exaggerated slow strides on tees will help. Stand behind a hitting screen and go through a pitching motion and have her time her knee lift on your forward movement. Like Work said if she’s gonna knee lift, let the front foot start it. This is her negative move style. This needs to occur when the pitcher begins moving forward (not when she rocks back or backswings). Must begin knee lift BEFORE ball is out of pitchers hand. Good tempo ques: ride the backside forward, keep back foot anchored, stay behind the ball, float forward. At foot down, get her head to work backwards, hit against front side (she chases with upper body some). I’d turn front foot in slightly in stance if she is gonna knee lift. As she knee lifts she needs to feel a sitting sensation in rear glute. I would use Eric’s DD as a model for your DD. They are very similar in style.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Jmho. I know slow and controlled sounds correct etc. but unless you have a really gigantic leg kick and hand pump. I think each player needs to find their own personal rhythm. Most have a smooth BALANCED gather/forward move and is why they DONT need to start super early.. the mass is in balance the entire sequence. Most guys gather when the pitcher breaks their hands which is extremely late. Softball players usually at 12 o’clock of the pitchers forward windmill. Personally I think it’s personal.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Let me add, when starting extremely early one could run into other issues such as sway, early hand usage or less than optimal length tensioning within the system .. Everything is good and everything is bad; but in reality, i think it’s a personalized thing if balance is maintained throughout.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I completely agree with @Work=wins. Every hitter needs to find their own rhythm and timing, That said, hitters are better off giving themselves more time by starting their pre-launch movements slow and early, rather than rushing and being forced to take a less-than-optimal swing. Find your groove.

May 16, 2019
I think Emma is off to a great start. Figure out how you want to load the lower half. Start using the core and back to help with controlling the move out. With some improvements in those areas , she's gonna make great progress IMO. I also agree she moves similar to Maddie.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812