DD Not Seeing The Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2020
My DD for some odd reason stop seeing the ball every time she swings she is pulling her head and is looking at her coach (currently playing 8U Coach Pitch Softball). When we work on the tee she has no problem watching the ball but when it comes to her time at the plate she just swings wild and looking everywhere else. that being said what are some ways i can get her to pay attention to the ball, anyone have any drill that might work. thank you in advance.

Oct 2, 2017
My DD for some odd reason stop seeing the ball every time she swings she is pulling her head and is looking at her coach (currently playing 8U Coach Pitch Softball). When we work on the tee she has no problem watching the ball but when it comes to her time at the plate she just swings wild and looking everywhere else. that being said what are some ways i can get her to pay attention to the ball, anyone have any drill that might work. thank you in advance.

Video of her hitting off of coach pitch or front toss would help really diagnose. Without that its kind a shot in the dark, That being said many young hitters do not get started in the their hitting sequence early enough. Therefore they rush and do all kind of funky things. Rushing will also make it hard to see the ball. My suggestion is to get going early and slow. This will help get them seeing the ball better and longer.

Jun 8, 2016
Post a swing if you can. When somebody swings and misses, the head will sometimes "pull out" as a reaction...doesn't mean that was the cause of the swing and miss if that makes sense.

Jan 7, 2020
Video of her hitting off of coach pitch or front toss would help really diagnose. Without that its kind a shot in the dark, That being said many young hitters do not get started in the their hitting sequence early enough. Therefore they rush and do all kind of funky things. Rushing will also make it hard to see the ball. My suggestion is to get going early and slow. This will help get them seeing the ball better and longer.

If we can make it to the cages tonight i will try to get some videos of her. i do understand what your saying. i have noticed she does tend to rush her swing when she is at the plate.

Jan 7, 2020
Post a swing if you can. When somebody swings and misses, the head will sometimes "pull out" as a reaction...doesn't mean that was the cause of the swing and miss if that makes sense.

i will try to post a video when i get home. but yes i do understand what your saying.

Oct 2, 2017
If we can make it to the cages tonight i will try to get some videos of her. i do understand what your saying. i have noticed she does tend to rush her swing when she is at the plate.
Excelent video on timing. To help improve tempo and vision

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
... she is pulling her head and is looking at her coach...

I've seen this happen with almost an entire team once, but it was because the coach would scream at them after every swing if it wasn't a base hit or better. They were so scared they were looking to see if they were going to get in trouble darn near before the ball got into the catcher's mitt. Is her coach a screamer lol?

Jan 7, 2020
I've seen this happen with almost an entire team once, but it was because the coach would scream at them after every swing if it wasn't a base hit or better. They were so scared they were looking to see if they were going to get in trouble darn near before the ball got into the catcher's mitt. Is her coach a screamer lol?

Wow that kinda sad, but no her coaches are not screamer and neither am i when we practice. when she was playing rec ball she was doing a good job watching the ball and hitting, now that we are playing on a travel ball team it like all that went away. Im hoping it just nerves and she will get over it and find her bat again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28