DD leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Put a paper plate under her drag foot and drag it up. Never did this but I have heard our PC tell girls to wear a heavy boot to feel the drag. Also, pitch with a hole in front of the rubber and try to drag. I only used the paper plate and that helped my DD.

Our pitching coach had DD do the paper plate drill. Not really to correct a flaw, but to demonstrate early in our tenure with her, how the foot drags.

Probably a decent exercise for all pitchers to do, just as a check/reminder.

Apr 28, 2014
Sometimes it just takes a strong voice. My DD developed a gym step over the winter going into freshman year. First game the ump called her on it first batter.
Her coach went to circle and said "if you do that again you cant pitch for me".
Never happened again
And that was after months of drills and me trying to "break" her of the habit.

Nov 8, 2018
Gym step?

Gym step! Yup. When working off the ground not on a mound. Like in a gym for example. Pitchers will take a small step with the drive leg vs being stationary on a rubber. Called a gym step. Monica Abbott Kinda does it. Small
Step before the dive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
You should know that, Blue. That's another that many umpires won't call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Huh. I have called it, but I had never heard it called that.

In my experience I’ve only seen low level/just starting out pitchers actually step. The more experienced ones will slide the foot forward a few inches. Less noticeable.

By definition, that would actually be considered a crow hop as the pitcher is replanting and establishing a launch point off of the plate. I pointed that out on an earlier video as a “no hop crow hop”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598