DD leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2017
During practice last week it was pointed out that my dd was leaping while pitching to me. I guess I've been so focused on other things, and not getting hit in the face, that I didn't pick up on it. Any good cues to work on fixing this? I've been telling her to push out more and not up so much. I don't have video at the moment but her drive foot is definitely not dragging.

Nov 8, 2018
During practice last week it was pointed out that my dd was leaping while pitching to me. I guess I've been so focused on other things, and not getting hit in the face, that I didn't pick up on it. Any good cues to work on fixing this? I've been telling her to push out more and not up so much. I don't have video at the moment but her drive foot is definitely not dragging.

Yeah I’ve been there. Have her throw into a Net or tarp and all she will focus on is the drag. Also some basic push drag drills everyday may help. She just has to get the feeling of staying tall and back enough to get the drag down.
I would also take a look at her launch and her arms. If her timing is wrong she times pitchers will leap. Versus push out and stay back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Also check the field if you have the proverbial hole in front off the pitching plate it might look worse than it is. Have her do a few pitches from right beside the pitching plate on flat ground....look forward to video

Oct 4, 2018
Is it getting called in games? :D

Just kidding, of course. My DD was doing this some. We basically focused on just the back leg for about 3-4 sessions and it's in check now.

Sometimes our pitching seems like we spin a big wheel and find the defect to work on that day. :p

Apr 28, 2019
H
Have her try pitching in socks. She should be able to feel she is not dragging and make adjustment. Have her watch a few videos of girls that have good technique.

Dec 5, 2017
Also check the field if you have the proverbial hole in front off the pitching plate it might look worse than it is. Have her do a few pitches from right beside the pitching plate on flat ground....look forward to video
She was doing it indoors on a pitching mat and at home on flat ground with no hole. Thanks.

Dec 5, 2017
H

Have her try pitching in socks. She should be able to feel she is not dragging and make adjustment. Have her watch a few videos of girls that have good technique.
Had her watching video's last night right before bed of Amanda Scarborough and then I see your response this morning :). She likes Amanda, she's small like her.

Dec 5, 2017
Is it getting called in games? :D

Just kidding, of course. My DD was doing this some. We basically focused on just the back leg for about 3-4 sessions and it's in check now.

Sometimes our pitching seems like we spin a big wheel and find the defect to work on that day. :p
Not called yet but I'm afraid some of our local umps might be following the illegal pitch thread 😆

Oct 4, 2018
Not called yet but I'm afraid some of our local umps might be following the illegal pitch thread 😆

I certainly do worry a bit with my DD and any girl, especially the young ones, that if they get illegal pitches called on them (due to their feet) it may completely ruin their effectiveness on the mound.

Jan 28, 2017
Put a paper plate under her drag foot and drag it up. Never did this but I have heard our PC tell girls to wear a heavy boot to feel the drag. Also, pitch with a hole in front of the rubber and try to drag. I only used the paper plate and that helped my DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45