DD keeps landing with a straight front foot.. any suggestions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
My DD is quite new to pitching.. first started about 8 months ago. We been practicing all winter long in between the fall of 2018 season and spring this year.
I think overall her mechanics are quite good, but one thing she struggles with is landing with a 45 degreen angle on her front foot.

I believe the reason pitchers are taught to do that is to ensure they don't fall over forward after the stride?
Or is there some other mechanical reason for this?

Everytime I tell my DD to get turned sideways so her foot lands properly, I think she gets overwhelmed and her pitch gets a little wild.
I want to squash this bad habbit now before it's too late.

If I tell her to do her full motion without the ball she can land it at an angle no issues. I think with the ball in her hand she just gets too much on her mind and it messes up her release.

Her actual pitching is still good with the front landing straight and not at an angle, so I'm now wondering if I can just
let her keep doing what she does. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Landing between a 45 to pointed at the catcher would be a goal. I wouldn't want it turned in anymore otherwise you are "trying" to open too much. Is that what you mean? Or were you trying to point it sideways more (away from the catcher).

May 9, 2019
Hi thanks for the feedback. Yes I meant more away from the catcher. Right now it's basically pointed straight at the catcher, which I don't think is the orthodox way of landing the front foot. Most pros/college I see it turned slightly in toward 3rd base.

Sep 29, 2014
Striding with the foot/toe straight is actually a good thing it will help keep everything straight as you begin to come down I think it's pretty natural as you open up for your foot to come to a slight angle....video would help and it does not have to be 45 exactly closer to 30 is just fine.

Nov 8, 2018
I agree with @Ken B here. Without any hip opening due to a straight foot plant the rise is nearly impossible. The others are correct as well it just won’t apply well to a rise. It’s just physics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45