DD is dropping hands first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2008
Her first move is not to the ball. She is dropping her hands and then going to ball.......swing looks very long and slow..........We were at a tournament and she struggled. Can anyone offer any help?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Have you showed her video? Does she do this during her tee work? and how much tee work is she doing?

So, is she hitting to RF or not hitting at all?

Is she trying to imitate a MLB player?

May 28, 2008
Have you showed her video? Does she do this during her tee work? and how much tee work is she doing?

So, is she hitting to RF or not hitting at all?

Is she trying to imitate a MLB player?

I am working on getting some video of her....She hasn't been doing a lot of tee work........maybe we should start doing some more?

I don't think she is trying to imitate anyone........And yes you are correct to right or not at all........

May 7, 2008
DFW
Krd

One of the things that is good about T work is that you can set the height of the tee high and have her hit that way for a while. This will help eliminate some of that drop.

The other thing I have done and this is really pretty effective but not conventional is I take a strip of towel and tie in into a loop. I then have the batter place it over their neck and I have them put the front arm through it like a sling.

I hand the batter the bat, place a ball on the tee and tell them to take a swing. It wont take long for them to figure out they are not dropping the hands with that sling around their neck. ;)

The other aspect of that is if they have a tendency to take the hands to the ball it stops that too. The only way they are going to hit the ball is to rotate the hips, core, and shoulders to the tee.

Do not do this for long periods of time. Maybe 10 - 15 swings and start SLOWLY at first then speed up. Over the course of time you will see improvement.

PS: Also focus on not letting the her drop the back elbow down to the side immediately. I would bet if she is dropping the hands the elbow is the first move then the hands. The elbow needs to come around the corner away from the body into what some term "The Slot".

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Elliott.

May 28, 2008
One of the things that is good about T work is that you can set the height of the tee high and have her hit that way for a while. This will help eliminate some of that drop.

The other thing I have done and this is really pretty effective but not conventional is I take a strip of towel and tie in into a loop. I then have the batter place it over their neck and I have them put the front arm through it like a sling.

I hand the batter the bat, place a ball on the tee and tell them to take a swing. It wont take long for them to figure out they are not dropping the hands with that sling around their neck. ;)

The other aspect of that is if they have a tendency to take the hands to the ball it stops that too. The only way they are going to hit the ball is to rotate the hips, core, and shoulders to the tee.

Do not do this for long periods of time. Maybe 10 - 15 swings and start SLOWLY at first then speed up. Over the course of time you will see improvement.

PS: Also focus on not letting the her drop the back elbow down to the side immediately. I would bet if she is dropping the hands the elbow is the first move then the hands. The elbow needs to come around the corner away from the body into what some term "The Slot".

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Elliott.

will try it!..............I was thinking............scarry thought........what if I moved her hands band further? This way maybe it would eliminate the need to pull back and down to start the swing????

Where should the hands be to start the swing in the perfect world? How far back or front?

May 12, 2008
This far back. Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent This should get you in the neighborhood but it's a function thing not a form thing and we could talk about that for awhile but that's not what you need to know. Ifubuildit gave some ideas for the high tee which can be a method for getting the feel of not dropping the hands and various constrictions like the towel can be useful but none of this makes any sense to a hitter who doesn't understand how to use posture rather than the arms to adjust for the height of pitch location.

See 1 through 8. Analysis

I would really want to see video before I'd remove that hand lowering. It could be that the hand lowering is excellent....a loading technique....and that she needs to do something else better.

Ummm....My DD used to do this, and trust me, when she started seeing faster pitching, it was far from excellent. If it was a good idea, you would see a lot of college girls, team USA girls, etc. doing it, and I don't recall seeing that.

Hitting with a high tee (I set mine on my ball bucket, so the ball was right at her arm pits) helped my DD.

Jun 26, 2008
Please more correction techniques

Interested in more suggestions to stop the A to B to C swing path as opposed to the A to C swing path. Any photos of the sling suggestion? Thanks.

May 28, 2008
Ummm....My DD used to do this, and trust me, when she started seeing faster pitching, it was far from excellent. If it was a good idea, you would see a lot of college girls, team USA girls, etc. doing it, and I don't recall seeing that.

Hitting with a high tee (I set mine on my ball bucket, so the ball was right at her arm pits) helped my DD.

I agree it looks real bad against better pitching. The problem is she couldn't tell she was doing it. So, right or wrong???? What we started doing. Resting bat against body until pitcher starts her delivery. She them simply is bringing the bat up not so much back. We also have her shifting her wieght back at the same time. We have changed some other things as well but they affect the power that she has added verses her hand issues. Is she 100%? No, but she is closer than she has been.

More importantly she is asking to go to practice early so she can get extra hitting in. I also believe extra work has helped her as well. She is hitting at least 5 days a week. Two of those days are pretty intense, as far as the reps go.

I'm hoping to get a vid on here so you guys can help her further.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478