DD is dropping hands first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Interested in more suggestions to stop the A to B to C swing path as opposed to the A to C swing path. Any photos of the sling suggestion? Thanks.

I'd rather you think of a connected swing where the hands stay near the shoulder through the early part of rotation. A to C says this to me though I'm sure you don't mean this. Products We Offer

See the first video on the link for the bad example of A to C interpretation.

Are college and Team USA girls your standard?

Ummmm...OK, I'll bite, who else should I use as a standard to compare my daughter's fastpitch swing to? I guess you could say MLB players, but, imho, the better fastpitch hitters are in fact trying to emulate MLB hitters.

If you're implying that I am setting her sights a little high, I really don't have a response to that....

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Another idea is to have her lay her bat on her shoulder, and keep it there until after she turns. The shoulder will block the bat and hands from lowering. You won't want to hit this way in a game, of course, but it's a handy exercise for learning to keep the hands from dropping -- and for learning to keep the hands tied to the back shoulder until launch.

I don't recall saying that any girls do have an mlb quality swing.

Have any quotes from me saying that?

But, there are a few that have pretty nice looking swings, and aren't far from it, imho. Are they the same as Pujols or someone? No, of course not. But, girls and boys are made different, and even elite softball players aren't as strong as mlb players (although, Bustos isn't a weakling by any means).

May 12, 2008
So would you agree with me anyone using the Right View materials should use the MLB comparison videos rather than the fp comparison videos?

May 12, 2008
I like Rivera and some others a lot but they don't have an extra ten or twenty years to work on their swing while they are paid millions like the best MLB hitters. I suggest a more fair comparison would be college fp hitters to college bb hitters. I think if you watch the CWS and the WCWS you would find more good hitters on average in bb which, considering the numbers of participants at the youth level, isn't surprising. I do think the level of competence in pitching is generally higher in fp. I don't think the hitting difference is due to instruction since much of the instruction sucks in both sports to be blunt. I do think the females don't have MLB to watch every day on tv and model themselves after. Perhaps someday there will be a lucrative pro option. The NPF is small but MLB started out small too. Wasn't that many years ago people who could have played in the majors took to other careers because pro baseball didn't pay enough. Go figure.

May 12, 2008
I just saw her swing on that site you link to.

Her bat turns about the hands very well. Not bad for a girl.

But.....her upper and lower body are out of sync.

I assume she is a good hitter or she wouldn't be linked to. But she ain't quite there.

The MLB hitters you see at the top of the heap didn't likely look like they now look at the age of 20 either.

May 12, 2008
She was/is pretty dang good, pretty dang quick and hit the crap out of the ball in the Pac 10. Give her another ten years at several million per and she'd be down to four frames from the five where she was.

May 12, 2008
Standard video is 30 fps/frames per second. World class is four frames from heel plant or first movement of the bathead into the swing plane till contact. Five will get you a LOT of fun in high school and college. I see few six frame swings. Mostly they jump from five to seven which WON'T get you much fun against good pitching IME.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12