DD hung up her cleats due to concussions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
Both of my kids had difficulty with concussions. The thing is, every concussion makes it easier to get another one. They each had 3 or 4 but only the last one occured while playing softball.hard to describe but Playing SS, dropping back into shallow center to make a catch, the CF ran into her and she hit the ground head first. Ihad seen ths happen another time too with a 3B dropping back into LF and kind of diving backward and her head bounced when it hit the ground. I was an AC and my DD wasnt paying due to a concussion. So because i learned about the testing protocol with my DD, i ran her through it and she did not pass. Her father, the other AC didnt want to hear it but she wound up with a concussion too.
Im glad your DD was able to rise above the situation! Is she going to coach?

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Both of my kids had difficulty with concussions. The thing is, every concussion makes it easier to get another one. They each had 3 or 4 but only the last one occured while playing softball.hard to describe but Playing SS, dropping back into shallow center to make a catch, the CF ran into her and she hit the ground head first. Ihad seen ths happen another time too with a 3B dropping back into LF and kind of diving backward and her head bounced when it hit the ground. I was an AC and my DD wasnt paying due to a concussion. So because i learned about the testing protocol with my DD, i ran her through it and she did not pass. Her father, the other AC didnt want to hear it but she wound up with a concussion too.
Im glad your DD was able to rise above the situation! Is she going to coach?
I don't see her coaching a team. She does not enjoy coaching in games. I tried to recruit her to help me with our 16U team this summer and she is not interested. She is a good hitting instructor and will probably continue to do lessons and clinics.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

May 15, 2016
A wise girl, in the face of difficult decision. Best of luck to her, sounds like she will do well in life.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
This afternoon, our friend, our number one pitcher, and the sweetest hardest working 12 yo I’ve ever met, took a ball to the head in the pitchers circle. It’s her 3rd concussion, (not all softball related), and likely the end of her way too short softball and sports career.

Hug your daughters, and realize how precious and tenuous this all is. And raise them to be good people, so that if this awesome sport is stolen from them, they’ll still be great women.

The OP is a great example. It’s just so hard to fathom this all being gone from a 12 year old...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802