DD how to fix bat drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
We are back at it after a couple weeks of rest. Timing is looking a lot better and she is doing much better with holding her coil in the negative. Long ways to go to fix the bat drag and arm bar though :) Baby steps....

Looking better RS! Hang in there and keep working! Folks need to understand that young kids don’t have body awareness! Keep it simple! Things she understands! Don’t start trying to teach her to turn the barrel!

Next simple thing I would do with her, that she can control and understand, is to get the front shoulder to work in and down some during the stride. Girls her age lose the barrel early when the front shoulder works up too early. I’m currently dealing with this same issue with my 11 yo dd. Stride and pause making sure the front shoulder is still slightly in and down.

After that work on the arm bar with the lead arm. Young players feel really strong in their arms and try to muscle up the upper half. Have her loosen up the arms and shoulders. Tension in legs, not in arms shoulders. Will help the bat whip.

Jun 8, 2016
What does she look like on a moving ball (game swing or at least front toss)? Have you posted one of those? Analyzing tee swings is somewhat useless if their swing is different when the ball is being thrown at them...

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
doing much better with holding her coil in the negative.

From this angle it appears that she never coils 'inward' at all (she looks like she's back to 'even') and she hits toe touch with hips open. I would kill the severe open stance, that never helps a kid learn to coil in.

Reread my post #4. You can learn this in a few days at most.

May 20, 2019
From this angle it appears that she never coils 'inward' at all (she looks like she's back to 'even') and she hits toe touch with hips open. I would kill the severe open stance, that never helps a kid learn to coil in.

Reread my post #4. You can learn this in a few days at most.
Upper half is coiled 45 but need more work on hips as you are correct they are still open. The stance is due to a really bad inward stride tendency with front foot landing almost on top the plate. Agreed that it is overdone and will work on closing it up. Thanks to you guys we are moving in the right direction albeit slowly :)

May 20, 2019
What does she look like on a moving ball (game swing or at least front toss)? Have you posted one of those? Analyzing tee swings is somewhat useless if their swing is different when the ball is being thrown at them...
Hard to get game footage when I'm at 3rd base .....Gonna have to put momma on video duty during fall ball ;-) I will say she has a fierce game swing with good intent. Lots of hard ground balls up the middle. Learning how to develop her swing should make me a better coach to help other kids excel as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802