DD held to higher standard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
One on one she gives everything she has but in team practice/game situations she falls off a bit.

Another route to take - what about explaining that the second half of your team NEEDS her to be a leader - to show them how to play, what the expectation is and hold them accountable. And you need her at practices and games to show the same effort in one-on-one, as that will elevate the play of the second half of the team.

Now, this is contingent on a lot of variables, but it could be an angle you take when you talk to her if you think it may push her.

Ultimately, though, if you want more out of her you're going to need to find a better team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We do not play daddy ball by any means in all actuality we are probably just the opposite. We hold our two DD’s to a higher standard than the other girls
That is Daddy Ball. You are not treating your DDs like the other girls.

It is impossible to treat your DD like the other kids...she is your DD.

What have you guys done to help yourselves hold the rest of your players to the same standard as your DD? Or is this just something most Dad coaches deal with?

Stop coaching.

If you want your DD to be "good", she has to learn how to compete for playing time. That is never going to happen with you as coach.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That is Daddy Ball. You are not treating your DDs like the other girls.

It is impossible to treat your DD like the other kids...she is your DD.

Stop coaching.

If you want your DD to be "good", she has to learn how to compete for playing time. That is never going to happen with you as coach.
Re-read Sluggers post #12.

Atleast, as a dad, you recognize and are acknowledging your parental thinking does in fact affect your softball decision making.
The word coach cannot help that go away.

If your goal is to be a coach~
Coach a team without your own children on the roster.
You will find out if your true goal is to be a coach rather than....
Helicoptering your dd as a parent on the field.

(seriously how great of a talent gap is there?!)
Bouncing back from errors is also something to learn.
Being pulled in 10u suggests the coaches think 10u players should already be perfect.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
I have the same issues. I coach my DD in rec ball and am way harder on her even though she is by far the most advanced player on the field. However I do not coach her in TB and intend to never cross that line as I want her successes there to be undeniably hers :)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Typically, the coaches' kids are the better players on the team. By default you spend more time with them working on skills on and off the field. I was in the same situation. I wanted to be fair as possible, but I found myself wanting to win more than develop. My DD was the best catcher on the team, and I would choose her over the other catcher in must win games, which all bracket games were must win...right? I am sure the other catcher parents didn't like it, but they liked those plastic trophies. I was also harder on DD more than the other girls for sure. Looking back, I would have done some things differently with my team.

When DD got into the 8th grade is when I decided to step back, and find a team for her so I can focus on being a dad. That worked for the fall until 2 of the pitchers with their Asst coach dads left(knuckle heads), I was asked to call pitches for the rest of the spring/summer. That summer my DD asked that I stop being a coach. Stepped away again. The last two years of her TB career I stepped in as the team's recruiting coordinator, which I really enjoyed doing.

Sep 21, 2019
Thanks for the feed back all. I’m pretty sure I already knew and expected the comments and the suggested directions. We will have some decisions to think about before the spring.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thanks for the feed back all. I’m pretty sure I already knew and expected the comments and the suggested directions. We will have some decisions to think about before the spring.
Applaud your paying attention!
Enjoy the journey!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee