DD heartbroken by coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
The hard lesson for many is that this is a business not a friend group. If during the process of this business you or your DD happens to make friends or build friendships then treat it as a byproduct of the process.
If your DD is playing high level ball (getting on planes) now or plans to in the future then friendships don't matter. 90% of the issues I see in travel come from friendship issues with either the parents or players. Not easy I know but this is a business.
The coach that had a full practice without your DD needs to explain that. Remember when emotions go up intelligence goes down. Put feelings aside and ask for an explanation. If it makes sense then move on and forget it ever happened. If it doesn't make sense or you don't believe the answer then move on to a different team. It would be natural to harbor resentment if you didn't trust the coach and chose to stay.

May 23, 2015
Im so bothered that he took the time to have his daughter lure my DD (Through social media) to go to his team. Then pulls this!

We never wanted any part of his team but my poor DD just wanted to play Ball with her friends.

Im happy we have other choices when it comes to teams, but it is a hard life lesson for my DD.
Daughter and dad might be on different pages. Just find another team and move on

Mar 10, 2020
We were harassed by a coach since last season to be in his team, this season our daughter decided she wanted to join that team because her friends were there. So we gave in (we’ve had issues in past and do not like a specific parent on team)

we told coach last night our daughter had made the decisions to play with him, my husband asked him for practice schedule
& if girls had practice today. He said he was just going to work with his daughter and another player.

So my husband decided to take our DD to park for reps... low & behold the whole team was practicing without my daughter.

when my DD got off the vehicle, she attempted to run over there thinking she had practice with her friends... it took all of me to be strong and to tell her she was not invited to the practice.

My husband worked our DD out and the coach never approached him to tell him the mix up or invited my DD over, the other softball players even went to say hi to my DD! When my husband called the HC after practice it went straight to voicemail.

How do I approach this coach in the future, Do we call him out on it or let it be?

Most importantly, how do I explain what happened to my naive 11 year old?
Gossip with 10 versions in every ear.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I hate to say this, but get used to it. There are some treacherous jerks in travel softball. DD will be 17 as of Saturday and we've run into these guys time and time again. Sometimes we figured out their jedi mind tricks beforehand and avoided it, but sometimes we got suckered in. All I know is if you haven't paid yet, you can walk. Find someone who values your daughter and wants her there.

Feb 15, 2017
Coaches do what coaches do. As others said best thing to do is move on. DD got injured at the end of July and her national organization head coach repeatedly told her in person and us in text nothing to worry about as she's the type of player we build our team around. She even attended all practices and helped put where she could.

At the end of the day he still cut her. She was heart broken but her doctor told her it's a lesson in life that athletes get cut for being hurt and worry about rehabbing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
We haven’t spoken to the HC because he didn’t answer my Husbands call but we already contacted other team that wanted her
go with the other team, assuming nothing happens there immediately that makes you think HC is a lowlife (he could have at least hid it for a month or two)

May 1, 2018
I don't understand exactly what happened and why he would hold a practice without her. I'll wait for the update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad