DD has a throwdown that makes the runner turn around and go back to 1st!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2019
My DD plays on a 12u team and we were playing up in a 14u Open Class tournament. Ended up placing second so not too shabby. Anyways, earlier in the day I caught this gem on camera. It was a high pitch and the batter squared to bunt it but pulled the bat back. My DD was already in motion and got the ball out so quickly and to 2nd that the runner turned around and tried to back to first!! For being a 12u team playing up in a 14u Open Class tournament, they were giving my DD a lot of respect. In fact, after pool play, my DD asked if she could lob her throws to second while "coming down" between innings. Sandbag, so to speak because he didn't have a single steal attempt during pool. I told her no and to use that time to get better. Anyways, I have been incredibly proud of her lately. She is the one that drags me outside to help her hit and do some long toss, not vice versa. During Quarantine, she continued to work and her hard work is paying off. Let me know what you think. She is getting quicker and stronger but can always take some feedback.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My DD plays on a 12u team and we were playing up in a 14u Open Class tournament. Ended up placing second so not too shabby. Anyways, earlier in the day I caught this gem on camera. It was a high pitch and the batter squared to bunt it but pulled the bat back. My DD was already in motion and got the ball out so quickly and to 2nd that the runner turned around and tried to back to first!! For being a 12u team playing up in a 14u Open Class tournament, they were giving my DD a lot of respect. In fact, after pool play, my DD asked if she could lob her throws to second while "coming down" between innings. Sandbag, so to speak because he didn't have a single steal attempt during pool. I told her no and to use that time to get better. Anyways, I have been incredibly proud of her lately. She is the one that drags me outside to help her hit and do some long toss, not vice versa. During Quarantine, she continued to work and her hard work is paying off. Let me know what you think. She is getting quicker and stronger but can always take some feedback.

Very nice kiddo. Here is a link to many catching ideas to work on. Clicking on the "Catching Tips - No Trampoline Effect" title will take you to YouTube with many skills back to back.

Apr 25, 2019
Would love to know what @RADcatcher thinks, I see a pretty elite arm path for a 12U player.

Thank you for the compliment!! She works hard, that's for sure.

We had a tournament this weekend and in the 4 games she caught did not have a single stolen base attempt. So not much for the highlight reel this weekend. However, an umpire told our coach after the game that "if all catchers were like her (my DD), that they would have no problem ever calling games from behind the plate. She doesn't let anything get by her and it keeps me from getting dinged up." I'll take that. LOL

Apr 25, 2019
Hitter's reaction is pretty funny. Nice throw, good job.

Yes indeed. It's sometimes strange when you are playing up. Here we are playing in a 14u Open Class tournament as a 12u team. We could have chosen to play in C class 14u but we didn't. You could see it with the 14u players, coaches, and parents that they did not want to be the team that loses to a 12u team of 07's.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thanks Sluggers for the pm on this!

Very nice! Like the immediate forward explosive body while transitioning in front of body.
( not carrying ball backwards to transition or twisting/rotating to the right staying back and throwing from behind the plate)

This is a GREAT example of shortening the throw by bursting forward! Comming out across the plate.
This example also shows how a catcher can burst forward clearing a throwing path.

Overall good use of body mechanics and timing with arm!

Keep throwing runners out Ava!!!
&
Keep up the great video's!!

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
She looks good. For some silly reason girls don't follow through with their throw downs. I would have her work on that

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802