DD blows the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2008
I think everyone had great information for you. But I have to agree that this was more of a situation that you have to learn from. Coaches ultimately make the call as far as who plays and when. Players will almost ALWAYS tell you they're alright, but it's for us, as coaches to make the final decision. Ultimately we're the ones responsible for that decision and whatever outcome follows as a result of that decision.

Hope your DD's finger gets better.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks Stacie. She had an interesting bruise around her knuckle but a week later and her finger is better. Played another good game on Saturday. She and I had a talk and I made sure she understood that I definitely appreciated her not quitting and that when I see a player struggling it is my job to step in and not expect the kid to be the adult. It was interesting because she noted one of her teammates does the opposite-exaggerating injury to be removed from the game. My wife had previously pointed out to me that that seems to happen either in pressure situations or after she makes a mistake.

Aug 6, 2008
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't notice anything about how old this player is. As an adult coaching children, obviously the FIRST priority is the safety and well being of the child. Forget about the game, because you and your daughter will probably never remember who won or lost in a year from now.

At 14 (high school JV), my RH DD was pitching and had a "routine" grounder hit to her right side. For some unknown reason, she barehanded it (successfully) and made the throw for the out at first. In the process of fielding the ball, it hit her pinkie on the end. She was in MEGA pain, so she sat out the rest of the game. After an x-ray, it was determined that she had slightly split the bone on the end of the finger. This just happened to be the last HS game of the season, and her first travel tournament was the next weekend. I asked her doctor for an opinion. He said he could "buddy tape" her last two fingers together, and she could probably play. However, if she would happen to hit it again, it could possibly cause a lot more damage, and she might be out for at least 6 - 8 weeks.

No brainer: She sat in the dugout the next weekend and cheered her team. She was back in action the very next weekend with no ill effects. I don't remember who won those tournament games, or even who won the whole tournament for that matter. I did learn a valuable lesson - when in doubt, resist the urge to jeopardize a kid's health for a short term goal, such as winning a softball game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse